Sign in to follow this  

Can't get it up :-/

What's up dewds!?

I just recently started practicing bringing the front of the bike up a little at a time and now wheelies in first gear, it's easy to get up but obviously first gear don't get you far and I have not developed the balance point wheelie. Once I get into second gear (like everyone suggests) I give it the beans and pop the clutch and not a whole lot happens with the front end :-/ I've gotten it up pretty good a couple times but I feel like I have to over rev it to do so. Any suggestions?

P.s. I'm at about 260lbs is that it lol?

Post a vid. Your clutch ups should be smooth, if you are revving the piss out of it and just dumping it your doing it wrong.

20-25 mph in 2nd. Wherever you feel like you have the most power available to use.

2 fingers on the clutch lever. Pull clutch in , whack it wide open and release clutch when you hit WOT. Like I said it's all one fluid motion, your doing this all at the same time (give or take) not step-by-step. Practice makes perfect you'll "feel" it when your getting it down. Think of it as a power wheelie with a little nudge of the clutch to help bring it up. It's all about the timing.

Body English is a big factor, especially since you are a bigger guy. Just gotta use that weight to your advantage. Most people think they are leaning back far enough when really they start to lean forward as the bike comes up. Elbows should basically be locked and your torso should be pretty much perpendicular to the seat.

Again post a vid so I can see exactly what you are doing wrong. I've gotten a bone stock drz to stand up at 50mph in 4th gear so it's definitely not the bike it's your technique.

Cover that brake!

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz
  • Like 5

Post a vid. Your clutch ups should be smooth, if you are revving the piss out of it and just dumping it your doing it wrong.

20-25 mph in 2nd. Wherever you feel like you have the most power available to use.

2 fingers on the clutch lever. Pull clutch in , whack it wide open and release clutch when you hit WOT. Like I said it's all one fluid motion, your doing this all at the same time (give or take) not step-by-step. Practice makes perfect you'll "feel" it when your getting it down. Think of it as a power wheelie with a little nudge of the clutch to help bring it up. It's all about the timing.

Body English is a big factor, especially since you are a bigger guy. Just gotta use that weight to your advantage. Most people think they are leaning back far enough when really they start to lean forward as the bike comes up. Elbows should basically be locked and your torso should be pretty much perpendicular to the seat.

Again post a vid so I can see exactly what you are doing wrong. I've gotten a bone stock drz to stand up at 50mph in 4th gear so it's definitely not the bike it's your technique.

Cover that brake!

Thanks a bunch I'll try to get something worked up today(chores first lol) no go pro so I'll try a side view with phone.

Thanks a bunch I'll try to get something worked up today(chores first lol) no go pro so I'll try a side view with phone.

like gsxr said above, it takes practice..i coulnt do it at all!

now i can just pin in 2nd and it lifts up..

and i clutch up 3rd....

this video my mods are

full yoshi rs2 jetted

3x3

stock carb

stock gears 15-41

stg 2 cams

250lbs geared up 

150-70 rear tire.120-70front

like said above try to go slower..in 2nd i can pin it nanywhere from 20-30 and itll pop right up..i clutch up 3rd at 32 indicated mph

you cant be scared to hold it pinned to get to come, that was something i learned, i was always thinking its just going to instantly come up.it doesnt.for me anyway..got to make it come up,,

at 55 seconds.youll see what im describing.how i jus thold it pinned and it finally came up..

Edited by 707LAKE
  • Like 1

and i clutch up 3rd....

this video my mods are

full yoshi rs2 jetted

3x3

stock carb

stock gears 15-41

stg 2 cams

250lbs geared up

like said above try to go slower..in 2nd i can pin it nanywhere from 20-30 and itll pop right up..i clutch up 3rd at 32 indicated mph

you cant be scared to hold it pinned to get to come, that was something i learned, i was always thinking its just going to instantly come up.it doesnt.for me anyway..got to make it come up,,

at 55 seconds.youll see what im describing.how i jus thold it pinned and it finally came up..

nice vid! Thanks for the tips

and i clutch up 3rd....

this video my mods are

full yoshi rs2 jetted

3x3

stock carb

stock gears 15-41

stg 2 cams

250lbs geared up 

What gauntlet gloves you got on there and how do you like them?

What gauntlet gloves you got on there and how do you like them?

i wear 2 gloves depending on temps

Rev It Summit H20 gloves

full length colder/waterproof glove,,,thats not waterproof..great from 30-80degrees..great protection/nice palm slider and features

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-summit-h2o-gloves

Held Sambia glove..

shorty gloves. cheapest held glove.still comes with tons of protection/kangaroo skin on palms..very nice from 60 upto 100..but nothing is to great after those temps..summers gets upto 110..

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/held-sambia-gloves

id easyily buy another held sambia glove..quick

but would NOT buy another rev it summit h20...probly a diff rev it glove,just not those 1's

the rev its do everything i want. except keep me dry..which is a must..1st day out in the rain within 20 minutes,,hands were soaked..

im in the market for some good preforated full length gloves..probaly gona get Held's again

ps Revzilla is a great site to view product videos..the owner makes a video for 90% of the gear he sells..

Edited by 707LAKE

i wear 2 gloves depending on temps

Rev It Summit H20 gloves

full length colder/waterproof glove,,,thats not waterproof..great from 30-80degrees..great protection/nice palm slider and features

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-summit-h2o-gloves

Held Sambia glove..

shorty gloves. cheapest held glove.still comes with tons of protection/kangaroo skin on palms..very nice from 60 upto 100..but nothing is to great after those temps..summers gets upto 110..

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/held-sambia-gloves

id easyily buy another held sambia glove..quick

but would NOT buy another rev it summit h20...probly a diff rev it glove,just not those 1's

the rev its do everything i want. except keep me dry..which is a must..1st day out in the rain within 20 minutes,,hands were soaked..

im in the market for some good preforated full length gloves..probaly gona get Held's again

ps Revzilla is a great site to view product videos..the owner makes a video for 90% of the gear he sells..

+1 on Revzilla that's the only place I get my gear! Returned many many items due to sizing and no problems at all!

What's up dewds!?

I just recently started practicing bringing the front of the bike up a little at a time and now wheelies in first gear, it's easy to get up but obviously first gear don't get you far and I have not developed the balance point wheelie. Once I get into second gear (like everyone suggests) I give it the beans and pop the clutch and not a whole lot happens with the front end :-/ I've gotten it up pretty good a couple times but I feel like I have to over rev it to do so. Any suggestions?

P.s. I'm at about 260lbs is that it lol?

I am a heavier guy also, About the same as you. Second gear is def best for getting the drz up for a nice wheelie. First gear runs out too fast and is twitchy. A few ways to practice, Start on a quad if you have one so you can practice throttle and brake control and not have to worry about side to side balance, Or if you have 400-600 laying around buy yourself a stock crf/xr50 with tall bars on it. Whats nice about them is they are underpowered for us to ride so you have to work to wheelie. Best wheelie practice tool out there! And if you loop out or go down you really don't get hurt! Its all in the skill. Throttle/clutch/pull back timing. Always remember to cover your rear brake!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3uWb9w7qlw

• Like 1

I am a heavier guy also, About the same as you. Second gear is def best for getting the drz up for a nice wheelie. First gear runs out too fast and is twitchy. A few ways to practice, Start on a quad if you have one so you can practice throttle and brake control and not have to worry about side to side balance, Or if you have 400-600 laying around buy yourself a stock crf/xr50 with tall bars on it. Whats nice about them is they are underpowered for us to ride so you have to work to wheelie. Best wheelie practice tool out there! And if you loop out or go down you really don't get hurt! Its all in the skill. Throttle/clutch/pull back timing. Always remember to cover your rear brake!

Thats why I got my klx110. Haha. Its funner than all of my other bikes..

and i clutch up 3rd....

this video my mods are

full yoshi rs2 jetted

3x3

stock carb

stock gears 15-41

stg 2 cams

250lbs geared up

What did you break when you looped it that one time? Im worried about ruining my bike..

What did you break when you looped it that one time? Im worried about ruining my bike..

nothing really,kinda tweaked stuff

bent up the Edge taillight's, license plate bracket,,,bent back into correct position,but damaged my plate, and it fell off within 2 months

it hammered the rear foot brake into the TT case guards..thankfully i had those on.. put about a dime sized dent about 1/8inch deep into the tt cover..iwount doubt if the case got bent in slightly..since then i had also lowered the brake pedal, so it coulnt even hit that same spot if i wen tdown on that side again

twistd bars in the clamps.. loosen and reset

at one point my black plastics had 7 road crashes on them, clean em up and they looked pretty good..ppl hate on the oem sliders, but i think there the best, they didnt rip out until the 7th wreckk and then i replaced them

the 3 survivors

0215131140_zps62e15d3f.jpeg

Edited by 707LAKE
  • Like 1

nothing really,kinda tweaked stuff

bent up the Edge taillight's, license plate bracket,,,bent back into correct position,but damaged my plate, and it fell off within 2 months

it hammered the rear foot brake into the TT case guards..thankfully i had those on.. put about a dime sized dent about 1/8inch deep into the tt cover..iwount doubt if the case got bent in slightly..since then i had also lowered the brake pedal, so it coulnt even hit that same spot if i wen tdown on that side again

twistd bars in the clamps.. loosen and reset

at one point my black plastics had 7 road crashes on them, clean em up and they looked pretty good..ppl hate on the oem sliders, but i think there the best, they didnt rip out until the 7th wreckk and then i replaced them

the 3 survivors

0215131140_zps62e15d3f.jpeg

I haven't seen any of those in person. They weren't on any of my bikes. I'd be happy with those if I had them. Haha. I'm using skateboard wheels instead...

Hell yeah! I have 2 Honda 50's. Def have more  fun on them then I do with any other bike I own! But the DRZ comes in real close!

• Like 1

and i clutch up 3rd....

this video my mods are

full yoshi rs2 jetted

3x3

stock carb

stock gears 15-41

stg 2 cams

250lbs geared up

Song?

Song?

what so not - high you are branchez remix

where are you in 510?

Right after you watch his wheely vid,  your vid came up,  the most expensive shortcut ive ever taken,  it comes up on the little mulit screens,   sucks man,  he should've gave you a warning for sure,  fat bastayd!   was it a few hundred bucks?

• Like 1

Right after you watch his wheely vid, your vid came up, the most expensive shortcut ive ever taken, it comes up on the little mulit screens, sucks man, he should've gave you a warning for sure, fat bastayd! was it a few hundred bucks?

Yea it was $480. But I made like $200 from the ads so far. I waited too long to monetize. I would have had like $1000 with how many views I got but I only had it monetized for 120k of them. Haha...

• Like 1