Sign in to follow this  

05 rm250 shifting problem.. no gears please help

i could really use some advice.. ive searched and searched and cant seem to find anyone with the same issue.. anyways i was at the track and shifted from 2nd to 3rd gear and when it hit 3rd it moved a few yards then there was nothing there.. felt like it hit neutral.. i shifted back to 1st and tried going back up into 2nd and nothing.. 3rd nothing and like that all the way up.. the shifter would move up and down and i cant feel any type off click but it does have 1st.. had to putt back to the truck in 1st.. had a hard time getting it to neutral.. i had the same thing happen a while back and the cam stopper bolt came loose and was sitting in the bottom off the outer case.. we put it back on and was fine untill now.. tore the clutch cover off pulled the basket off and the stopper is still intact but has the same issue as before.. everything is intact and no visual damage to the shift shaft, pawls, cam stopper.. there is just nothing past 1st.. im planning on splitting the case and checking the obvious things like drum forks ect.. just hoping someone had a similar  problem because i really dont see anything visually wrong and i know trannys are sometimes hard to diagnose unless there is an obvious problem (something bent or broke) but it makes no noise just wont shift past 1st and when i try it just acts like its in neutral.. any suggestions? when i bought the bike the motor was out and i had the case split for a new crank we inspected the tranny and it looked flawless.. no wear on the cam/forks it looked brand new and have only rode it maybe 20 hours if that since.. so i cant really see something going but ya never know i guess.. am i missing something or is time to split the case?

Maybe a silly suggestion, but did you look at your shifter to make sure it isn't stripped or something? Maybe it's something simple.

• Like 1

If enough stuff is messed up in there, I've got an extra '05 motor in great shape I'm looking to sell (new piston, OEM basket with no notching).  With or w/o Rekluse EXP.

Try checking if the shifter is loose. After a tip over last weekend my shifter was loose and i couldnt get any gear but first.

i really hope that i spoke too soon! after pulling the pawl assembly, the shift pin going into the cam stopper was very loose..not even hand tight! i know that is an issue especially after a rebuild since i didn't loctite it.. i had already pulled the motor so i figured since i was that far i split the case to make sure there was no damage internally.. as soon as i removed the pawl i could easily move the cam thru the gears.. im assuming it bound up since there was so much play because of the pin being loose.. i also noticed the shift arm stopper was also loose.. everything seems fine internal but im going to buy a caliper tomorrow to measure everything incase it caused some damage.. is there anything specific i should look for? i am mechanically inclined as far as how things are supposed to work but not that familiar with motorcycle transmissions so any suggestions would be appreciated! Am i on the right track? would the shift pin being loose cause the bike to not go thru any gears? it seems possible that it would cause the stopper arm to bind up with the cam not in place but can it cause any other damage?... and GHILL28 how much would u want for the spare motor? as i would be interested in it! mine is over sized and i would really like it back to stock 250cc since i only weigh 160lbs it is alot of bike for me..i just have not been able to find a replacement cylinder! and since this bike has had its share of tranny problems i am no longer confident riding it! i have already broke my femur/arm and dislocated my shoulder in the same crash because of a mechanical issue in my 01 rm 125 from it slamming out of gear on the face of a large double, and it makes me nervous riding/racing this thing.. but i absolutely love everything about the bike except for these issues