Sign in to follow this  

Need lights!

I have a 01 DRZ S/SM (conversion) with a UFO Oregon headlight and I can't even begin to describe how much I hate it. 

I also bought some 10W CREE LED lights off Amazon that ended up being rip offs of VisionX 10W lights. I've returned 3 now, and I'm done with it.

What I want is to replace my headlight housing itself AND have 2 LED pods. As of right now, I have it hardwired from the battery to a handlebar mounted switch and that went to the bulbs. I had them mounted on the barkbusters towards the headlight housing, rotated down so it fit under the barkbusters, yet allowed for full motion of the forks.

I am looking at the TrailTech X2 headlight assembly, however I am unsure of what LED pods to get, and would like extra opinions for the headlight assembly. This bike IS used on road, hence the separation between just one massive headlight that would piss off the cagers. 

I'm (of course) looking to spend as little as possible, but quality is kinda imperative as I'm sick of returning lights after a month of on-road use.

Thanks!

Also, factory tail light was replaced with the DRC Edge LED kit, so I gained a little power from getting rid of that. Plus I have LED rear turns. Have not done free power mod yet (just for power availability)

I have a 01 DRZ S/SM (conversion) with a UFO Oregon headlight and I can't even begin to describe how much I hate it.

I also bought some 10W CREE LED lights off Amazon that ended up being rip offs of VisionX 10W lights. I've returned 3 now, and I'm done with it.

What I want is to replace my headlight housing itself AND have 2 LED pods. As of right now, I have it hardwired from the battery to a handlebar mounted switch and that went to the bulbs. I had them mounted on the barkbusters towards the headlight housing, rotated down so it fit under the barkbusters, yet allowed for full motion of the forks.

I am looking at the TrailTech X2 headlight assembly, however I am unsure of what LED pods to get, and would like extra opinions for the headlight assembly. This bike IS used on road, hence the separation between just one massive headlight that would piss off the cagers.

I'm (of course) looking to spend as little as possible, but quality is kinda imperative as I'm sick of returning lights after a month of on-road use.

Thanks!

advmonster for sure has great quality led lights! I have the model 30 and 60 on my bike done and it lights up the road even with it still not being fully aimed correctly yet!

Here is the pic of my bike

And if you look at my headlight build I have pics of the lights and output of them! I would highly recommend advmonster though as they are cheaper than the big companies, better looking and extremely well built! Only thing I suggest would be is to loctite the adjustment screw on the bracket as it will rattle itself out if you off-road!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1071971-my-number-plate-headlight-build/page-2#!F0xaE

There is the light output which is still not completely accurate it is better in person

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1058276-my-modeventually-build-thread/page-3#!F0xRi

1398530472248.jpg

advmonster for sure has great quality led lights! I have the model 30 and 60 on my bike done and it lights up the road even with it still not being fully aimed correctly yet!

Here is the pic of my bike

And if you look at my headlight build I have pics of the lights and output of them! I would highly recommend advmonster though as they are cheaper than the big companies, better looking and extremely well built! Only thing I suggest would be is to loctite the adjustment screw on the bracket as it will rattle itself out if you off-road!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1071971-my-number-plate-headlight-build/page-2#!F0xaE

There is the light output which is still not completely accurate it is better in person

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1058276-my-modeventually-build-thread/page-3#!F0xRi

I really like what you and Paul did! I think I'm going to be doing the same thing.

And you used the Canadian nameplate headlight right? The one from ebay? The headlight I currently have is an aftermarket that mounts with rubber straps that are fine. So unless this is ultra-sh!tty, it should be fine. 

And ADVmonster has some great stuff! I looked at the lights and it all looks good! Great output from you and Paul. I'm not sure on whether or not to get the Cyclops low beam light for the cutoff, but so far I'm liking the idea. Cost will depend. 

I really like what you and Paul did! I think I'm going to be doing the same thing.

And you used the Canadian nameplate headlight right? The one from ebay? The headlight I currently have is an aftermarket that mounts with rubber straps that are fine. So unless this is ultra-sh!tty, it should be fine.

And ADVmonster has some great stuff! I looked at the lights and it all looks good! Great output from you and Paul. I'm not sure on whether or not to get the Cyclops low beam light for the cutoff, but so far I'm liking the idea. Cost will depend.

My cost for lights was only slightly above his. As for cutoff I don't have any but I've yet to get flashed at for my lights either! And yes I got the "Canadian" one that drop ships directly from Taiwan lol I still need to adjust the lights and get it so it didn't move but all that has to do with my mount design and nothing with the lights

So no problems with mounting the nameplate or anything like that? 
Otherwise, I'll pull the trigger on the name plate and figure out the lights while it swims here from China haha

Also, I saw you mentioned that it was pretty expensive. Is there anything you would have done differently? I'm not going to be using the dimmer, so that will cut it down some.

Oh! And what were you saying about the YZ125 numberplate? Does that fit well? I have the stock tach (with no speedo, mind you) so I'd like to make the ends of the lights decently flush with the numberplate. I have a lot of resources at my disposal (I can machine things where I work, access to materials, equipment, etc.) so I want to make it extra fancy!  :ride:

Oh! And what were you saying about the YZ125 numberplate? Does that fit well? I have the stock tach (with no speedo, mind you) so I'd like to make the ends of the lights decently flush with the numberplate. I have a lot of resources at my disposal (I can machine things where I work, access to materials, equipment, etc.) so I want to make it extra fancy! :ride:

Mounting isn't the problem is the mount I made its the problem, it's just made quick and dirty out of aluminum flat stock and none of the real proper tools or patience to fabricate a fancy mount. If you want the lights flush then you'll have a big gap between bars and plate, and the yz plate is the same plate as the.China plate just the China plate has recessed holes in it! Only thing I would do different is spend more time on making my bracket pretty!But overall I love my mod and think the dimmer really adds to it as I can run both lights in traffic without killing people, and I can turn the flood light on from a distance even with the bike off and key out!

Oooo Ya as far as cost it was 170 or something like that for the lights and 60? I think for the plate. And the rest was r&d cost of building materials! But in the end you get a custom badass light that you can easily replace any part of if you have a problem!

Well I think for my mount I'll make the mount go under the triple tree so the mounts are deeper INTO the bike, pulling the lights in. I'll have to check when I see it all together, but it might be a process of a couple different parts that I'll bolt together out of machined aluminum. 

So I might just do the chinese one then, I can't see an advantage to doing the other unless I wanted to make my own holes and mount it further one way or another. Can't imagine that really being a problem though.

I don't think the dimmer will help me. I want to have the low light for day riding and then I want ALL the light at night to be able to really see. I might even be bolting on a pair of offroad pods too. 

Any problems I'm missing? 

I figure I'll order up the numberplate, and then decide on lights. 

You can't recess the plate and lights as the light holes line up with one of the forks. So unless you just buy a plate and cut holes in the middle ( which still probably wouldn't work as they would most like nick the frame or sides of the forks when turning(in other words clearance issues. What me or Paul have is about the the best it's gonna get in terms of plate being flatish and lights poking out!

Well I think for my mount I'll make the mount go under the triple tree so the mounts are deeper INTO the bike, pulling the lights in. I'll have to check when I see it all together, but it might be a process of a couple different parts that I'll bolt together out of machined aluminum.

So I might just do the chinese one then, I can't see an advantage to doing the other unless I wanted to make my own holes and mount it further one way or another. Can't imagine that really being a problem though.

I don't think the dimmer will help me. I want to have the low light for day riding and then I want ALL the light at night to be able to really see. I might even be bolting on a pair of offroad pods too.

Any problems I'm missing?

I figure I'll order up the numberplate, and then decide on lights.

So if lights poking out that far is deal breaker I would invest your money else where of your going to have allot of money rapped into r&d

1398660694277.jpg

Hmm okay I see what you mean. But (correct me if I'm wrong), if your mount that the lights bolted on to was behind the triple tree, they would clear the forks, right?
That's what I'm thinking. Basically mounting the lights further back.

Hmm okay I see what you mean. But (correct me if I'm wrong), if your mount that the lights bolted on to was behind the triple tree, they would clear the forks, right?

That's what I'm thinking. Basically mounting the lights further back.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean?

The plates holes line up with the fork so to be able to mount the lights so that they match up with the holes and the plates match up with fender! It has to be in that specific spot...... So just thinking about it I can't really see a way with the China plate to mount the lights on the triple! But I could be wrong as I don't have it in front of me!

1398662291129.jpg

You know how you put your aluminum plate on the front of the triple tree? Where the lights mount up? 

Well, I'm thinking about making it offset so that the lights mount behind that plate. so mine would be effectively recessed into the triple tree, between the clamps. 

You know how you put your aluminum plate on the front of the triple tree? Where the lights mount up?

Well, I'm thinking about making it offset so that the lights mount behind that plate. so mine would be effectively recessed into the triple tree, between the clamps.

The red circles are where the holes are, the yellow is my bracket (now this pic is pre led setup), the green circles are the threaded mounting holes (unless you drill and tap your own) and I you can't put the lights inside that blue square as the plates won't line up with the fender. Paul drilled and tapped a hole in the top triple I believe for his bracket, I choose to go a diff route (which was more ghetto) the lights are long enough that you can have the plate flat with the lights but there will be a gap between the top of the plate and the Speedo/bars! Unless I'm not getting what your saying I can't see another way to do it, but feel free download and draw on the second pic and reupload so I get what your saying! Hell I might even try your mount design of it works!!!!

1398668383267.jpg

1398668940771.jpg

I see it now.

See, I was hoping the lights were not directly in front of the fork tube, but next to it. If they were next to it, I could recess the lighting back further with a clever bracket design and end up with nearly flush lights. However, that idea just got flushed. 

Maybe I'll be drilling my own holes and making and installing my own collars around the openings.

hmmm....

I see it now.

See, I was hoping the lights were not directly in front of the fork tube, but next to it. If they were next to it, I could recess the lighting back further with a clever bracket design and end up with nearly flush lights. However, that idea just got flushed.

Maybe I'll be drilling my own holes and making and installing my own collars around the openings.

hmmm....

Ok gotcha Ya Idk if that idea of recessing next to the tube would have worked anyways because if I remember right it wouldnt have enough clearance to turn the bars! But yes the holes are roughly 90-95% in front of the forks just a tiny biton the left isn't I do believe! Im drawing up a custom mount that mounts similar to stock, two collars connected together on each fork tube then those are connected (fork collar to fork collar) then mount similar to Paul's end result so there is no drilling and should be more sturdy/vib resistant then bolting to bike. Going to draw up the specs and see what a couple of local fabricators can make of the plans and how much it would cost. It should get be a WEE but closer to the forks but not a lot! Ill Let you know where I go from here and just fyi if I forget just check back regularly to either of my threads because I will be updating them if I do something and forget to message you!