Sign in to follow this  

Twin air backfire filter

I'm thinking of taking off the backfire screen of my 11 crf450.. Is this filter a good substitute?

Yeah they work great. For a $100 you can get the TA Powerflow kit and you're done.

Yeah they work great. For a $100 you can get the TA Powerflow kit and you're done.

Did you notice a difference vs. the oem ?   Been thinking of picking one up for a 10.

Some difference, but it's not a wow difference. Just helps it breathe better.

I run maxima,stock,twin air,air filters on stock cage with the screen removed, and so does everyone I know ,no problems (ftt maxima filter oil).Turning the injector along with screen removal makes the bike have better throttle response.Never heard of any bike catching fire from screen removal,that said stuff happens. I'm not worried about every bike I've owned no screen.Bought some used team bikes no screen.

• Like 1

I run maxima,stock,twin air,air filters on stock cage with the screen removed, and so does everyone I know ,no problems (ftt maxima filter oil).Turning the injector along with screen removal makes the bike have better throttle response.Never heard of any bike catching fire from screen removal,that said stuff happens. I'm not worried about every bike I've owned no screen.Bought some used team bikes no screen.

I agree...I've always pulled the screen and ran the stock filter with no problems since 2006.

It's a nice gimmick but a filter is only as flame resistant as the Filter Oil it is soaked in.

Can't say I've ever seen a dirt bike burn down due to a backfire through the carb.

I have seen em burn due to operator dumb ass'ness

A friend burned his airbox and seat during a race,,,

ill keep my screen in.

i wanted to take it out to save weight,

but, eddie sisneros did dyno runs on the 2009 and there was no improvement pulling the screen.

ill keep my screen in.

but, eddie sisneros did dyno runs on the 2009 and there was no improvement pulling the screen.

Good info...I noticed zero difference pulling it off.

Maybe i'll put it back on.

Funny this just came up, when I changed my filter two days ago I noticed where the inside of the filter I removed had a spot that was a little burnt

ill keep my screen in.

is this only for the 09 and up? 

i have an 05 and the previous owner removed the screen and replaced it with the TwinAir metal cage...so now i'm worried. 

and not to mention my bike does occasionally backfire when warming up.

The chance of backfiring through the intake is indeed low, but any four stroke is capable of belching up a melon-sized fireball without straining itself. Although the chance of starting a significant fire this way is pretty small, it is possible to burn a hole through the filter element without your being aware of it, and you know what that could lead to, don't you?

• Like 1

wow, $100??? The NoToil Superflow kit is the same thing, but for half the price. The cage is plastic instead of billet, but it seems plenty rigid to me, been running mine for 130+ hours and no sign whatsoever of leaking. I like it just for the convenience of not having to clean the screen on the stock cage when it gets clogged with filter oil.

I've always just took the screen out like everyone is saying and no problems at all but I can say I have seen a bike burn up from a back fire through the carb but like he said probably operator error lol but they do make a no toil kit for round 50 bucks you can check it out on Rocky Mountain I got it because a needed a new filter anyway and for the price it's nice you get the cage the filter/ pre oiled to and bolt