Sign in to follow this  

Break away Kick

Don't know if this exist ,but it should.

We need a kick start lever for big bore one lungers that will not injure due to kickback.

Why isn't there a kicker based on the clicker type torque wrench, that when under severe load clicks and breaks at spline and resets on it's alone?

i would buy one

That is the way they come from the factory. All kick levers disengage at the top and bottom of their travel. In my experience kick back is the result of timing issues (too much advance), broken kicker component(s) or bad starting technique. Kick through and pause on big singles.

Paul

Edited by pcnsd

I know that on the xl 600 it is disengaged at the up position.Hence no ratcheting sound. At bottom of stroke, if you get it running and hold kick down there, it will make a ratcheting noise, Obviously it will catch if the reverse direction is taken up. A mechanism that is always ready to disengage when that kickback happens, anywhere in the kick stroke, is what i am talking about. The procedure for properly starting a bike is irrelevant.Not talking safety procedures. Talking about an idea and if available, where.. Because if it is not made I would be surprised.

I know people who don't really ride motorcycles will always mention these big bore bikes kicking back and breaking a leg...  Let us poll ThumperTalk... Has anybody actuallly broken bone kickstarting a bike?  Have you been injured by getting slapped in the shin by the kick starter?  Have you slammed the top of your foot into the bottom of the foot peg on a 2000-200+ YZ250 (I know about this one personally but a quick adjustment in technique ends the pain).

The procedure for properly starting a bike is exactly the point. Big bore thumpers sometimes offer decompression features. The drz400 has one. This allows the kickback to escape until the motor starts making power. The physics involved in fabricating a kick start lever that functions the way you describe would necessitate a manual reset, or some form of adjustment. With large displacement engines, electric starters are the best option, with kick start as a backup. Learning where tdc is and how to correctly start a bike is not just relevant, it is mandatory. All this is opinion. Except for the physics comment.

I meant to say why is any of this necessary?  The kickback leading to a broken leg seems to be a myth.  I know it can hurt to kick a bike over and know of some bruises but I have never seen an actual injury.

My '03 YZ450 kicked back once, and nearly broke my foot in spite of my Alpinestars.  That same year bike was known to push the entire kick start assembly up out of the case now and then.  Other than that, I've been hit the hardest by big two-strokes (a DT360 and a Maico 450).  But the worst injuries I ever got from a kick starter was from Harley-Davidson Sportsters.  Every now and then one would come in that had a worn ratchet plate, and the starter would let go altogether in mid stroke while you had all your leg in it, and you would end up by hyper-extending your knee because of the sudden loss of resistance.  THAT hurts, and stays with you a while.  Not at all the same thing.  But given the experience, "break-away kick" sends a shiver down my spine.

Once, many years back, we had a Norton 19S in the shop.  It was a 650cc single cylinder that had a massively heavy crank in it.  We got to messing around with it and started a game to see who could get the bike to throw us the farthest.  Yep, we'd leave the ignition advance lever all the way up and get it to kick back.  The bike backed up with a lot of force, but relatively slowly because it had to reverse that big crank, and if you were ready for it, and did everything just so, you could let go of the bars, step off of the rising kick starter and over the bars onto a work bench in front of the bike. 

The work that idle minds do. 

I know that on the xl 600 it is disengaged at the up position.Hence no ratcheting sound. At bottom of stroke, if you get it running and hold kick down there, it will make a ratcheting noise, Obviously it will catch if the reverse direction is taken up. A mechanism that is always ready to disengage when that kickback happens, anywhere in the kick stroke, is what i am talking about. The procedure for properly starting a bike is irrelevant.Not talking safety procedures. Talking about an idea and if available, where.. Because if it is not made I would be surprised.

Honda implemented a device in 1988+ RFVC 600 and 650 engines that does exactly what you're talking about. The difference is that they build it into the camshaft. When the engine starts to kick back a ratcheting lobe on the cam opens an exhaust valve.

My 600 doesn't have one because it had been removed and I later got an aftermarket cam that had no provision for one. It kicked me one single time before I was aware of the starting drill. That was 10 years ago.