Sign in to follow this  

2008 RMZ 250 Seize / Engine Failure

Hi guys, just made a profile here but familiar with this forum. Have a 08 rmz 250 that I've had since 2009 with no topend rebuild until it finally blew this past august 2013. I didn't ride it hard for the first couple years after moving up from an 85 but eventually started racing again and pounded some pretty heavy hours on it, the engine had well over 100 hours on it with lots of oil and air filter changes.

I had a really nasty compound fracture collarbone injury in October and have just finally recovered physically from it and want to work and do what it takes to race on the weekends, always was nervous about tearing down the motor cause it was my first big bike and I did indeed pay the price.

So I guess what I'm asking if anyone has any advice they would like to share on what I might expect when I tear it down cause it is definately clapped out in some areas, done a lot of research on parts and what not and should cap around $1600.00 if I do the work myself or with someone I know which I only have one friend who can. I also have considered a 2 stroke 125 cause they are around that price in the summers here in WA, I'm also only around 130 pounds. Anyways if any good mechanically inclined people would like to give some tips any helps would be great appreciated!!

100 hours. Whoo. Id openthe cases and get to measureing. You have a manual right? You have a digital caliper or micrometer? Get em. The manual has the service limits for everything. Inspect, meaaure and replace whats out of the service limit.

Id put in new; main bearings, tranny bearings, all springs, piston rings, cam chain, valves/springs, collets and kkeepers, gaskets/seals/orings,clutch kit.

That's prividing you don't need a new rod,any gears in the tranny, shifter forks, cams, new piston, or any electrical components.

Cool thing is you'll have a fully built from the bottom brand new motor.

100 hours. Whoo. Id openthe cases and get to measureing. You have a manual right? You have a digital caliper or micrometer? Get em. The manual has the service limits for everything. Inspect, meaaure and replace whats out of the service limit.

Id put in new; main bearings, tranny bearings, all springs, piston rings, cam chain, valves/springs, collets and kkeepers, gaskets/seals/orings,clutch kit.

That's prividing you don't need a new rod,any gears in the tranny, shifter forks, cams, new piston, or any electrical components.

Cool thing is you'll have a fully built from the bottom brand new motor.

100 hours would be my minimum estimation of hard practicing hours over the 4 years, I did have it torn down / valves adjusted after 2 but was told everything else was pristine, I was barely ever using it's topend power or racing at that point so I believed that. I do have a manual, my friend might have the tools, I sure don't. I'm dead set on getting it rebuilt though whether I get a two stroke before it or not cause I was barely 16 when I got that bike. Looked into repairing the sleeve and valve seats if there's excessive dammage there too but wasn't sure about some of the smaller parts I might need that I don't know the names of so thanks man, I know there's piston valve / spring and gasket kits all over that a popular.