1984 xr350r Valves

Hello,

I just bought new valves after having my timing chain jump and bend two valves. The new valves i purchased were new off e bay. When doing the valve job i noticed the shaft of the valves are straight but the heads of the valves have a very minor wobble to them. They hold liquid when i test them. I just need to know if this is ok or if i should return them and maybe purchase a higher quality valves.

Here are the valves i purchased.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ENGINE-HEAD-VALVES-SET-4PCS-2-INTAKE-2-EXHAUST-HONDA-XR350-XLX350-82-UP-/310938237260?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item48655cf94c&vxp=mtr

Hello,

I just bought new valves after having my timing chain jump and bend two valves. The new valves i purchased were new off e bay. When doing the valve job i noticed the shaft of the valves are straight but the heads of the valves have a very minor wobble to them. They hold liquid when i test them. I just need to know if this is ok or if i should return them and maybe purchase a higher quality valves.

Here are the valves i purchased.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ENGINE-HEAD-VALVES-SET-4PCS-2-INTAKE-2-EXHAUST-HONDA-XR350-XLX350-82-UP-/310938237260?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item48655cf94c&vxp=mtr

How did you make out with these valves? Still running strong?

The valves worked out great. I think doing a full engine seal and gasket kit,new timing chain,and new timing chain guide, and new piston rings and a quick honing also helped. As far as the valves they worked out great. I cleaned the valve seat stuck the new valve in the corresponding hole on the head added valve seat cutting compound and then attached a drill to the shaft of the valve and ran the drill untill i had a really nice full contact surface between the valve and seat. I know thats not the regular method of seating valves but i am very mechanicaly inclined and it worked better than any other method i have ever used. Dont waste your time with the stupid wood handled suction cup valve seating tool it wont do the job. However you decide to do it make sure you re seat the new valves.... Dont just put them in and expect them to seat against a used valve seat. You have to match the surfaces with a valve grinding compound. I got mine at napa. Came with a coarse and fine grit tube of each. Try the drill trick you will be amazed at how well it works. Just dont let the weight of the drill hang on the valve shaft it might bend it. I know that was long. Yes the valves off e bay worked awesome. Bike ran like new. I got back all the lost compression. Good luck.

My guess as to why the new valves wobble is the guides were possibly damaged when the old valves got bent. The guides probably had a lot of force exerted on them, causing them to come out of round. A manual has the allowable amount of wobbling free play for a valve stem in the guides, ideally you want zero movement.

It's best to let an expert machinist/mechanic at least inspect the valvetrain after a serious issue. Lapping new valves into worn old seats typically doesn't last the longest, the seats usually need to be cut to the proper size and angle. Did you measure the final width of the seat? Or test them with a dye?