Sign in to follow this  

Exhauast?

Would it run well if you figured out how to mount it?

If you mean the SX250 the two stroke there will be no chance in hell the pipe will fit.

If you mean 250SX-F, maybe the rear canister could work, if you modify the mounts and pipe flange.

But the second option I doubt would work well.

Me saying it would work with fabrication was irony. Anything will work with enough modification. But its not worth it.

Mike Coe has found the stock CRF150/230 exhaust to be the best overall of all he's tested.  Systems like the BBR will gain you 0.6 RWHP at the peak but you will sacrifice power everywhere else.  Mike has the stock system on his 27+ RWHP beast.  That says a lot.

I will be doing a test and review of an Engines Only Outlaw exhaust system as soon as Frank has them available.

Edited by VortecCPI

Mike Coe has found the stock CRF150/230 exhaust to be the best overall of all he's tested.  Systems like the BBR will gain you 0.6 RWHP at the peak but you will sacrifice power everywhere else.  Mike has the stock system on his 27+ RWHP beast.  That says a lot.

I will be doing a test and review of an Engines Only Outlaw exhaust system as soon as Frank has them available.

No shit. My only motivation to replace the exhaust was weight *yawn* and to avoid the rust. Maybe I'll yank it and high temp powder it in the oven if I get froggy, and BBQ black the head pipe. 

I shortend my muffler by 6" and removed the baffles, then I drilled extra holes in the spark arrester untill it sounded right.

I shortend my muffler by 6" and removed the baffles, then I drilled extra holes in the spark arrester untill it sounded right.

Do you have any pics? :D

Thank you everyone for the help!!

Edited by killerbear

Hi guys.

Sorrry for my English.

Hello VortecCPI.

You say that:

" Mike Coe has found the stock CRF150/ 230 Exhaust to be the best overall of all h and' s tested. Systems like the BBR will gain you 0.6 RWHP at the peak but you will sacrifice power everywhere else. Mike has the stock system on his 27+ RWHP beast. That says to lot."

VortecCPI.. Do you know if Mike Coe has taken off the baffles?

I think that he has taken off.

(muffler without baffles is too noisy)

I made experiments with my stock muffler.

I found that you can have performance without increasing the noise..

So guys..

why a aftermarket muffler can not do this?

And it is more light and does not rust.

Below my mod

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/282591-crf150230-pics-and-mods/page-37

Edited by Crossplayer

Crossplayer - Not sure if Mike has made any modifications but based upon our exchanges I'd say he has not.

It's not that an aftermarket system can't make more power.  They can and do in many cases but it depends on what you mean by "power".  According to Mike many of the systems he's tested increase peak torque and/or peak horsepower.  He found, however, the net area under the torque and/or horsepower curves was reduced overall.  So although the peak was increased the overall net was decreased.  The BBR system, for instance, gained 0.6 RWHP at the peak but gave up power everywhere else.  If you were drag racing or circle track racing that might make the difference between winning and losing.  In the woods, however, a broad power range would be preferable to a peaky power range.  Not unlike why a torquey 4T will go through the woods better in most cases than a peaky 2T.  Drag race?  Forget it.  Woods race?  Bring it on.

This tells me Honda did very good job with their stock system.  The only reason I'm going to try Frank's system is because I'm bored.  I happen to like megaphone designs and his new systems are 100% stainless steel and now have a stepped head pipe.  Frank does a lot of R&D to improve his systems and I happen to believe they will increase the overall torque range.  This has already been proved during dyno testing on a Yamaha TT-R125.  I have heard nothing but rave reviews except in two cases.  I will prove it once and for all when I do a test and review.

Edited by VortecCPI

So crf 230 exhaust system of Frank is not available.

There are however, images in preview of this?

He is waiting on production.  They are a bit behind and should be coming very soon.

http://www.xr100.com/images/150%20230%20images/150%20or%20230%20pipe%20large.jpg

The old systems were constructed of aluminum-coated carbon steel with straight head pipe.

Edited by VortecCPI

I have bored too, I have installed 47 mm Wossener piston, the first Cam Webcam (bolt in). 120 Main jet, 45 pilot. Obviously I removed the snorkel. I did my muffler mod also, I have done many tests at different sizes inside and now believe me it works really well in all regimes! But his problem is rust. Me too .. I am looking for a good aftermarket exhaust that is not too noisy and it is stainless

Edited by Crossplayer

I looked at a bunch of systems back in 2009 but discussions with Mike steered me away and I lost interest.

Back in the old days cars and bikes had miserable exhaust systems.  Today's vehicles come right out of the factory with very good systems.  They are also durable and reliable.  I like the system on the CRF230, especially the quick-insert baffle.  It comes in very handy when I ride behind my house.

My guess is Frank's system will work very well.  The main jet he recommends for a stock CRF230 is WAY smaller than the 120 most of us use.  That tells me his system is very efficient and is doing a good job scavenging spent exhaust gasses from the combustion chamber.

My buddy had a similar Rob Muzzy megaphone system on his XR600 and it performed and sounded great.  My father has a stainless steel SuperTrapp megaphone system on his SRX 600 and it performs and sounds great too.  I like the SuperTrapp disk system.

I am very much looking forward to getting one and trying it out.

Edited by VortecCPI

It is interesting because it is cheap and is made of stainless steel.

Surely I can mod it is too noisy, as my stock muffler.

You must be careful when it comes to stainless steel.  There are numerous types of stainless steel.  Many of the types oxidize, like those used for automobile exhaust systems.  Many end up rusting because the fabricators use carbon steel tools or are fabricating carbon steel assemblies close by.  I spent years working in ASME fabrication shops and it was amazing to see how good stainless steel can be ruined due to poor fabrication techniques and/or poor environments.

I'd steer clear of cheap systems.