Sign in to follow this  

Just a drz hwy question

I have been wanting to get a new bike to ride back and forth to work. I have owned 4 different sport bikes and now I want a dual sport, in case I get the urge to hit some single track on my way home. Only concern is it's about 25 miles one way on a highway. Speed limit is 65 and I like to run 70. Curious if the drz would be capable of crusing at 70 and be able to with stand it day in day out.

Any idea what kinda rpm's it will turn At 70 with stock gears. And I'm not against putting taller gears in. I have other bikes for hard offroad riding

Edited by moto394

Stock gearing works best imo,  15/44,  like 7200 rpm at 75mph if i remember correctly.

i have a tto tacho,  cheap and easy to install.

cockpit.jpg

• Like 2

I have been wanting to get a new bike to ride back and forth to work. I have owned 4 different sport bikes and now I want a dual sport, in case I get the urge to hit some single track on my way home. Only concern is it's about 25 miles one way on a highway. Speed limit is 65 and I like to run 70. Curious if the drz would be capable of crusing at 70 and be able to with stand it day in day out.

tried this out today,

sm with 17's

120-70front/150-70rear

stock gear 15-41

running  6250 at 70mph indicated

With stock tires/gearing its no sportbike on the highway. Its a little buzzy and youre working the motor a bit. Itll do it no problem dont get me wrong but i get tired of the highway after a few miles. Ive got 15/38 gearing and a 150 60 tire and its alot better but id recommend a stronger motor to pull it

I am on the highway for work.

My 2013 motor and gearing are stock but I run performance rubber.

I have no issues though I do run good oil and change it every 1000 miles.

It works pretty good at 70 MPH.

tried this out today,

sm with 17's

120-70front/150-70rear

stock gear 15-41

running  6250 at 70mph indicated

This is good news, very similar setup coming.

Any idea how accurate your tach and speedo are?

Also, power mods?  And how did the bike feel cruising there?

Thanks.

If you don't plan on doing much off road riding, you may want to consider the DR650 as well.  The DRZ certainly won't have any problems at 70, but the DR will do it more comfortably.  The DR just needs more help on the off-road side of things.

This is good news, very similar setup coming.

Any idea how accurate your tach and speedo are?

Also, power mods?  And how did the bike feel cruising there?

Thanks.

it feels fine.i have fcr 39,stg 2 cams.full exhaust..

but i been doing it since it was all stock ..the 1st motor lasted 50,000 miles, everyday year round use  from temps of 20-115degrees...daily

2nd motor on 6,000ish

i think the speedo is off by 5mph.so 70indicated is 65mph(according to garmin gps speeds)..tach accuracy,i dont nkow,,only tach ive ever had on my bike

• Like 1

I have 2003 DRZ400s that I converted to a SM. I am still running the 44T rear sprocket, MRD/SSW Exhaust, Dynojet needle, 3x3. I cruise comfortably on the freeway at 75, no idea what the rpm's are because I never hooked up the tach on my trail tech (I will when I can!). 75mph with a 44T and 17's is a bit buzzy but doable. I'll switch to a 41T when I have the money for hotcams and FCR carb. My top speed with the 44T and 17's is 84MPH, I could possibly go faster but I feel the RPM's are way to high to feel comfortable.

I have 2003 DRZ400s that I converted to a SM. I am still running the 44T rear sprocket, MRD/SSW Exhaust, Dynojet needle, 3x3. I cruise comfortably on the freeway at 75, no idea what the rpm's are because I never hooked up the tach on my trail tech (I will when I can!). 75mph with a 44T and 17's is a bit buzzy but doable. I'll switch to a 41T when I have the money for hotcams and FCR carb. My top speed with the 44T and 17's is 84MPH, I could possibly go faster but I feel the RPM's are way to high to feel comfortable.

You will be at about 7800-7900 rpm at 75mph.

• Like 1

Change oil & filter every 600 miles, constant mesh trans kills oil.  Shell Rotella 20-50w is a good dino oil.

• Like 1

OP, just keep in mind that 15/44t would run different rpm's on an S and SM because they have different diameter rear wheels...

Like 15/41T..17" rim on an SM ......would be equivalent to 15/44T ...18" rim on the S

Edited by Craigo 485sm

Correct you are Sir , that's why I use Silkolene .....................

throw in wet clutch and it's party time for contaminants...... :banana: ..........frequent oil changes is the key to longevity for the Dee-Zeeer engine....

Edited by Craigo 485sm

Yeah , remember the day I had the Lab call me M8 , this was after he analysed my oil sample .

The contaminant's sent his equipment / readings into a spin , on collecting the paperwork .. It had " Critical " stamped all over the Document .

He claimed my motor had the Death Knock M8

:ride:

Yeah , remember the day I had the Lab call me M8 , this was after he analysed my oil sample .

The contaminant's sent his equipment / readings into a spin , on collecting the paperwork .. It had " Critical " stamped all over the Document .

He claimed my motor had the Death Knock M8

:ride:

:eek: .....I am hearing ya... :thumbsup:

same here, I have a 23 mile one way commute on the inerstate and 65-70 feels just fine.