Sign in to follow this  

Benefits Of The 650r Oil System

Just got thinking of what are the ups/downs for running the oil through the frame.Only reason I ask is my buddy's gixxer has oil starvation problems with long wheelies and that got me thinking of the ups/downs of the 650's system.Thanks

Well ill take a stab.

The frame reservoir is just that, a reservoir. It allows probably another quart or so. Allowing less weight in material for the motor cases. The frame is hollow and weighs wht it weighs. F it, fill it with oil. Also, the frame has direct contact to fresh moving air. This speads the oil out and disperses heat from air mmoving over the frame. Much the same to our air cooled cylinder heads having fins as oil runs through there not water. The external lines allow the use of an oil cooler which adds capacity and removes heat. Stock example, the 400.

Another good part of this design is the downtube screen. Which is a very accessible filter and easy to clean. Ive seen 20 year old case screens, no bueno. But no gasket to replace. And its been seen have this completely clogged and reduce oil flow. Easy fix. Small effort, huge benefit. Hondas are good machines

Anyone got anything to add?

When you drop the bike on it's side and it still works (you hold the throttle or you've got an Edelbrock carb) it won't starve out of oil, same for the wheelies, but it doesn't work when the top is lower than the bottom because the oil in the frame is going down to the oil pump by the force of gravity  :)

There are 2 oil pumps, first the bigger one pumps all the oil above it's level up to the frame, then from there it is going to the second smaller oil pump that pumps it to all of the part that need lubrication (crank, camshaft, rockers)

The drawback of it is that you need to first warm up the engine or even better ride it a little, then check the oil level the moment you stop, if you see the oil drops on the dipstick you are usually good to go, so that basically means that you can overfill it if you don't know how it is done (excessive oil should go to the air filter box but if there is too much it can make some seals leak) or underfill it when you change the oil (it takes some time for the oil to make its way to the engine if you don't help it)

In the latest issue of Cycle World magazine (June) in the Service section on page 81, it explains the difference between dry sump and wet sump engines.

Summary: they're not as tall because you don't have oil under the engine, the oil stays cooler because it goes out of the engine before being pumped back in, and the oil pressure remains more consistent when the engine is changing angles a lot.  I think the engines are a little bit lighter too, although I'm not certain about that, since there are two oil pumps and some plumbing that a wet sump engine doesn't have.