Sign in to follow this  

Washington Sidi boots really have a kick starter guard?

Sorry I know there are tons of threads on boots already, but I can't seem to find what I am looking for....

I am looking to get some new boots and I have narrowed it down to either Gaerne SG10's or Sidi Crossfire's. My question has to do with wear in the arch. I ride a YZ450 and my youngest kiddo is at the point where he is able to ride some more difficult terrain. The problem is that I end up shutting off my bike and restarting allot when I am with him. I managed to tear a hole in the arch of my current boots doing that (which aren't that old).

From what I have read the Gaerne's are the more comfortable (and affordable) of the two, but it looks like (from the pictures) that the Sidi's have a replaceable plastic gaurd in the arch. Since I have no way to actually look at either boot I was wondering if someone could confirm that the Sidi really does have that feature and if it really makes a differnece.

Thanks!

Sidi's have replaceable soles, but I'm not sure if the right side has extra padding or not.

Nothing different, but you have to get the Crossfire "SRS" if you want the replaceable soles. However all boot soles are replaceable...

The problem is not the sole so much, but the side of the boot. You can buy replacement "metatarsis inserts" for them. I‘m not sure if that is there to protect from the kick starter or something else.

I don't put the kicker in the arch area of my boots, it is more forward towards the ball of my foot, and from all my years of kick starting I've not had a wear issue on the boot soles.

As previous posted SIDI Crossfire with SRS have replaceable soles, and SIDI has an Enduro sole available which is much better for trail riding than the MX sole (I switched).  IMO the Crossfires are the best off road boots because:

Protection of a plastic boot.

Enduro sole.

Hinged for ease of walking and operating  brake/shift.

Narrow toe box makes shifting easier than other boots.

Comfortable, I wear street socks.

Replaceable parts although I've never had any part failures.

There is only one other boot that I like as much as my Crossfires and they are Gaerne oiled leather three buckle boots for Trials riding; they are lighter and easier to walk in than the Crossfires, and waterproof,  but don't have the foot protection.

the gaerne's will fit a 'wider' foot. The Sidi's are more narrow

The SIDI crossfire SRS 2' now being sold are wider than the originals.

• Like 1

The Gaerne SG10 are without a doubt excellent boots, but in my mind the Sidi's are a notch above in most categories, including even comfort. The SIDI engineering from replacement soles, replacement everything, buckles, etc... are simply 2nd to none

I have the Sidi SRS.  There is a replaceable metal plate at the arch on the body of the boot just above the sole.  I paid $300 off ebay for a pair with two light rides on them.  I have about 6 good rides including the D100 and I really like the boots.  My previous boot was a Tech 10.  I wanted to try something new and went with the SIDI mostly because I heard through the forums they were suited to a narrower foot.  They fit me perfect, but seriously think twice if you have a wide foot.  Its still too early to tell how they are going to hold up but they look pretty good so far.  What is the condition of your kickstarter?

The SIDI crossfire SRS 2' now being sold are wider than the originals.

interesting.  I wonder what all the narrow foot people are going to buy now? Maybe big socks?

For a long time that has been a distinction between the two.  All feet are not equal, so I find it interesting that the SIDI would move in that direction. My feet are wider, so my SIDI Crossfires have always been tight. When new they were so tight they were uncomfortable, but they were expensive so I kept wearing them anyway and they finally broke in.  The Gaerne fit like a glove from the moment I put my foot in, but is heavier and doesn't keep water out nearly as well.

I have the Sidi SRS.  There is a replaceable metal plate at the arch on the body of the boot just above the sole.  I paid $300 off ebay for a pair with two light rides on them.  I have about 6 good rides including the D100 and I really like the boots.  My previous boot was a Tech 10.  I wanted to try something new and went with the SIDI mostly because I heard through the forums they were suited to a narrower foot.  They fit me perfect, but seriously think twice if you have a wide foot.  Its still too early to tell how they are going to hold up but they look pretty good so far.  What is the condition of your kickstarter?

The kick starter's fine. I think the problem is those times when it is wet and my foot slips off while starting. I have had two pairs of cheap plastic boots do this (Fly Mavericks and Thor Ratchets) I had a pair of leather Fly 805's that didn't have that problem. That's why I am a little leery of the Gaerne's since the instep is plastic. While I have been researching boots I found a couple of threads from people that had holes in the sides of the Gaerne's from either the kick starter or the peg.The Sidi's are $50 more and I don't think I have a very wide foot (I don't typically need to buy wide shoes or boots).

The kick starter's fine. I think the problem is those times when it is wet and my foot slips off while starting. I have had two pairs of cheap plastic boots do this (Fly Mavericks and Thor Ratchets) I had a pair of leather Fly 805's that didn't have that problem. That's why I am a little leery of the Gaerne's since the instep is plastic. While I have been researching boots I found a couple of threads from people that had holes in the sides of the Gaerne's from either the kick starter or the peg.The Sidi's are $50 more and I don't think I have a very wide foot (I don't typically need to buy wide shoes or boots).

Why guess when you can try them both. Just order 1 pair, or both pair of boots from RockymountainATV and wear them both around home for an hour or two. Then simply return the pair you don't want...RockyMountain will even pay return shipping. If you can't afford both, then just order one at a time.

Edited by tk2stroke

Why try and guess when you can try them both. Just order 1 pair, or both pair of boots from RockymountainATV and wear them both around home for an hour or two. Then simply return the pair you don't want...RockyMountain will even pay return shipping. If you can't afford both, then just order one at a time.

That's a good idea, I forgot that RM has that return shipping deal on apparel.

I like my Sidi Crossfires. I have the TA sole. Sidi's also have the replaceable instep piece. That is where your boot hits the peg if you don't kick it just right. mine is already showing some wear and its nice to be able to replace it.