Sign in to follow this  

Considering a KTM 300

I think it's time for me to sell my Honda CRF250r. I want to get away from a track bike and get a trail bike plus I would like to go back to a two stroke.

A friend of mine has a KTM 300 XCW and absolutely loves it. I've read some on it and people seem to rave about the bike.

Does anyone here have any input on either the 300 XC or the 300 XCW. I'd like to put it out there before I jump in. Thanks.

check out the ktm 2 stroke forum do a search there are a ton of forums on 300s. My day just bought a 09 300xc I ride a 11 200xcw. both are sweet and very fun bikes. I like my 200 more after I got used to it. its super light and fun but lugs good and fun top end.

In the past 8 years I have gone from an XT225-XR250-DR350-CRF450X-RMX250 then last fall I bought my '07 KTM 300XC-W. All the other bikes I have owned as an adult had their shortcomings whether it was too heavy, underpowered, poor suspension, old technology or just kinda boring. I always made fun of KTM owners because I thought they all took an orange pill, went from golfing and decided to pose as a dirtbike rider, after buying the 300 I realized KTM's are just a quality machine and nowadays cost the same as a Japanese bike. Some people say the ergonomics are way different than if you're used to riding a Japanese brand, but honestly I don't think 90% of us riders are fast or skilled enough to notice much different. Since owning this bike my passion for riding dirtbikes became an obsession. The 300 is light, lugs on the bottom and still pulls all the way to the top. One weekend I will desert scramble it hitting sections at almost 90mph. The next weekend I can crawl rocks on it like a trials bike. Not to mention it is a cakewalk to maintain and costs a fraction of the 4 Stroke cost to repair. If the 300 has any shortcomings at all I sure can't find them. Jesus, it sounds like KTM paid me to say this.

• Like 1

kyleanegus:

Excellent post! I'm right there in your shoes with nearly as many bikes in a matter of a few years. I simply get bored with most of them. And yes, you are so right-- most of us don't see these subtle differences between these bikes- leave that to the pro's. Can't say that I'm ready to do 90mph in the desert, but I am ready for a bike that catches my attention and keeps my attention. Thanks for your input!

I see you're in Nevada- whereabouts?

Edited by joehicks

worth keeping the 250 in mind too, especially if you are on a budget as they are a fair bit cheaper. quite a few guys say they ride these better and faster. i've ridden both and the 250 has a bit less grunt low down which many find makes them better in single track and other situations. 

being on a budget, i recently got the 250 and it seems you can get the low down grunt similar to the 300 by just shaving the cylinder head a tad (about $50) or fitting an SX250 head. plus if you seize it badly you can fork out the $900 for a complete 300 conversion kit which is neat... the 250 is often about $1000 cheaper to buy!

kyleanegus:

Excellent post! I'm right there in your shoes with nearly as many bikes in a matter of a few years. I simply get bored with most of them. And yes, you are so right-- most of us don't see these subtle differences between these bikes- leave that to the pro's. Can't say that I'm ready to do 90mph in the desert, but I am ready for a bike that catches my attention and keeps my attention. Thanks for your input!

I see you're in Nevada- whereabouts?

Thanks Joe. I am just outside of winnemucca about 2 1/2 hours NE of reno near the Oregon border.