Sign in to follow this  

Diagnose this sound DR-Z400E **videos**

Hello folks.

Not long had my drz. She has 3800 on the clock and is a 2004 model.

I'm a little concerned about how loud the engine is and the tappy sound it's making.

I've checked the valve clearances and all is well. The bike still has the automatic cam chain tensioner.

The bike rides well. It does idle low when cold and a little high when warm.

The bike has no fan and did boil her coolant on last week. I have serviced her since then.

There was a little metal on the sumo plug but nothing I was concerned about. At the time..

Here are some videos. Please tell me what you think.

Also, where is best to get a manual cam chain tensioner? In the uk.

Ok I'm not sure how to upload vids. But they'll be here ASAP.

http://s1131.photobucket.com/user/markw9218/media/Mobile%20Uploads/trimF2F8AEBF-2A90-41F3-882F-86A011FA9EF4_zps27dd636b.mp4.html

Edited by vrs oh yes

As in if doesn't sound like a problem? Just seems pretty loud and tappy. I'm going to order a MCCT anyway. Hope it doesn't grenade on me!

As in if doesn't sound like a problem? Just seems pretty loud and tappy. I'm going to order a MCCT anyway. Hope it doesn't grenade on me!

STOP RIDING

thatsounds like a allen bolt has worked loose in the case behind the gear lever where the stator is

lean over the bike on the right to stop the oil coming out and check the bolts and do the loktite fix whilst there. it happened to me it a bolt in there thats loose do it before it comes out and shreads your stator ££££$$$$

Now I'm scared! I've got a MCCT that should arrive tomorrow. If that doesn't fix it I'll have to start stripping her down. Waah!

Definately has a loud tapping sound that should not be there.

edit..lol

well it seems my camera makes my bike sound pretty good.sounds crappy in person i think

is yours quiet? make a video

a quick cold start video i found from last week..

6:41 am in Ca, probly in the 40's

messing with the choke

Edited by 707LAKE

my bike sounds like this pretty much..

what i want to see is a ACTUAL quiet drz motor running on video..   ive never seen 1..il make a video later

is yours quiet? make a video

Not quiet,  but just does not have a ticking/tapping sound like you can hear in the vid,   no way to make a vid,  if i had a gopro or similar,  id make a top speed vid  :D

My bike is pretty loud and tappy. Sounds chainy. I'll see what manually adjusting it does to the sound.

What's the decomp thing and would it make a shitty noise like that if it's dead?

Not quiet,  but just does not have a ticking/tapping sound like you can hear in the vid,   no way to make a vid,  if i had a gopro or similar,  id make a top speed vid  :D

if you can affiord it, i use a controur roam on all my videos

contour roam(they went out of business early 2014, i got mine for 90$new..prices since skyrocketed for new contours)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Contour-ROAM-1600-Sport-Action-Camcorder-TESTED-/131157117337?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

my next camera will most likely be the polaroid, it has 90% of same features as controur, plus some better ones

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xs100hd-hd-flash-memory-camcorder/7218169.p?id=1218835981543&skuId=7218169&st=categoryid$pcmcat317000050077&cp=1&lp=1

thnk of how itll be the best `150 youll spend this year,,and you can show us how they shinko17s do rear work! on video

• Like 1

if you can affiord it, i use a controur roam on all my videos

contour roam(they went out of business early 2014, i got mine for 90$new..prices since skyrocketed for new contours)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Contour-ROAM-1600-Sport-Action-Camcorder-TESTED-/131157117337?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

my next camera will most likely be the polaroid, it has 90% of same features as controur, plus some better ones

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xs100hd-hd-flash-memory-camcorder/7218169.p?id=1218835981543&skuId=7218169&st=categoryid$pcmcat317000050077&cp=1&lp=1

thnk of how itll be the best `150 youll spend this year,,and you can show us how they shinko17s do rear work! on video

Just fyi contour got bought out and is back in business now!
  • Like 1

Fitted the manual cam chain tensioner and 90% of the rattle went away! I'm really pleased :)

The bike revs more easily, sounds crisper? (Not sure if that's related) and almost feels faster.

Awesome!

• Like 2

Fitted the manual cam chain tensioner and 90% of the rattle went away! I'm really pleased :)

The bike revs more easily, sounds crisper? (Not sure if that's related) and almost feels faster.

Awesome!

It did? Good because I was having the same issue (same loud tapping) and was hoping it was.the mcct. Where did you buy it from and how much?

I shall post a couple of comparison videos later. It's really worked well!

I got it from eBay in the uk, £26 delivered :) easy fit.

• Like 1

th_trimDF001B01-8A3D-4E5E-B7C8-9391BA6E5

th_trimA5E86124-5D36-4AC1-88D2-40A00018D

I'll let you decide which sounds better.  I'm aware that the chain must be slightly stretched so I shall be changing that soon as possible.

Something to note is that when mine was rattling it was doing it throughout the rev range, not just at idle. 

Most threads say that loose camchain goes away when revved. Evidently not here. Perhaps that means I have further problems?

Edited by vrs oh yes
  • Like 1

Wow - huge difference. What is the typical failure mode of the acct? are there are failure problems with an acct beyond just providing excessive tension?

Mate.......It looked like the lock nut on MCCT was not done up on the 2nd vid....If this is the case you need sort it out.... 

Edited by Craigo 485sm

i noticed that your mcct nut was almost ran all the way down. i would check that cam chain to see if its stretched.if so i would change it asap. This is what mine looks like almost 9k miles. That makes me think time for an oil change! :D

CAM00253.jpg

Edited by fuentes52