Sign in to follow this  

Noob oil consumption question

I've got a new to me 2001 plated xr400.  If I do say 100 miles of mixed riding  (fire roads and 50 mph pavement),  how much oil should it use?

I'm looking for a "x oz./ x mi."  kind of answer.   (I know, I know)

I'm used to pretty much zero oil consumption on my other Honda (VFR) so the air head thumper thing is new to me.

018 (2).jpg

None.  You should be able to go a thousand miles without adding oil.  You're also asking for blown fork seals without the boots.

Learn the correct procedure for checking the oil level as well, it's not the same as most other bikes/cars.  Do a search on here and you'll find hundreds of threads on it.

I change oil every 2000 km or so in my 1999 XR4 . 50% of my riding is high-rpm blacktop to-and-from the riding spots. I top up maybe once or twice between oil changes, only a splash each time.

Edited by GU520

I'm pretty familiar with the oil-checking method.  If I check it immediately after a ride, its a pretty reliable measure.

I don't really think anything more than 0 oz./ 100 mi. means top end work.  But I'm sure its in my future.  Just curious what others are experiencing.

(I probably add about 2 oz. per 100 mi.)

You can live with 2 oz per 100 miles but please realize, if it had eight cylinders, it's a quart every 200 miles.  

If you run at high RPM (dual sport stuff, long road sections) you may 10ml per 100 miles from oil foaming and being blown out the breather.

Yeah, I didn't really even notice any significant loss until I did some open road riding.  (50-60 mph).  Big difference depending on type of riding.  I was hoping to see some oil in the breather tube filter.  No such luck.  Must be going out the pipe.   It did feel like it was pretty busy cruising at anything more than 60.  I'm running the stock gearing.