Sign in to follow this  

Looking at a 1984 Honda XR500R motor rebuild

I'm looking at buying a 1984 Honda XR500R, that needs a motor rebuild.  The owner said they took it to a shop to have the motor rebuild and the shop said that the cylinder was oblong.  The motor is all disassembled.  Do I want to mess with this?  Can I get all the needed parts?  Is this an "Expert" only rebuild or could a rookie pull it off?

Thanks for any replies.

Im a rookie and its taken me a few months to rebuild my 250 engine... it depends what parts are ruined and what you need. Also you'll need some specialty tools to put her together. It a up to you and the price

From what I was told, it sounds like all the motor parts are there but I would need either a sleeve or something to work out the oblong cylinder issue, probably rings and piston, and misc parts.  Any guess how much money I would be into the motor rebuild?  Thanks

Hmmm well you would still need the tools to put the engine back together! I mean if the whole engine is apart you need a few special tools. If its just the top end you can get by with a good torque wrench.

From what I know a new sleeve would be best... they run 80$ or more I believe?

New piston and rings and pin go about 120$ for a wiseco

Make sure you know exactly whats wrong with it!! My top end is blown, I need a new cylinder head and piston and such and its going to cost me 1000 $ or more for everything that went wrong... just do your research my friend