Sign in to follow this  

shock oil change - quick question

2006 yz250

Bought the bike this winter and strongly suspect the shock oil has never been changed. The fork oil was rancid when I put in new seals.

Do I need to disassemble the entire shock or can I simply drain out the old oil from the compression adjuster and refill?

Thanks!

I'm sure you can drain the oil out the compression adjuster, but once you get to that point you're only 1 clip and less than 5 minutes from completely disassembling the shock.

Don't forget to fully back out the rebound adjuster before you release the nitrogen.

And don't forget to release the nitrogen before backing out the compression assembly!

Generally speaking if you need to ask such a simple question you need to search/read more before having a crack.

In terms of refilling you also need to bleed the shock of air and then assemble making sure not to over/under fill the bladder during assembly. Then regas it up.

And don't forget to release the nitrogen before backing out the compression assembly!

Generally speaking if you need to ask such a simple question you need to search/read more before having a crack.

In terms of refilling you also need to bleed the shock of air and then assemble making sure not to over/under fill the bladder during assembly. Then regas it up.

You can under fill your oil but how do you overfill it?

Thanks guys, saw a YouTube video where he only drained out the adjuster and refilled without taking the bladder or shaft out. Found another that detailed the rest. Those clips are a bugger! Now cleaned and ready for re assembly. Thanks

Seriously anyone have a good way of getting the clips out without destroying the shock body?

• Like 1

Seriously anyone have a good way of getting the clips out without destroying the shock body?

Some are worse than others. We have 2 YZs, one is super easy, the other is a huge pain. I got some pick tools, seem to help a little.

Went back to my video and he explains a nice way to get them out and it worked. Gotta love the Internet.

KYB Rear:

You can under fill your oil but how do you overfill it?

Good point. Not likely!

Some methods call for the bladder to be over extended during the bleed process and then the pressure released as the seal head is inserted, but if someones just cracking the comp assembly to try and change the oil then anythings possible (which was more the point that I was trying to make).

If you push the seal head deep into the shock then just push the clip downwards and it then will turn , then pull it out

• Like 2

I use a small flathead screwdriver.  After discharging the bladder you can push the seal head in which collapses the bladder.  Then you release the pressure from the now compressed bladder and the seal head should stay most of the way in.  I've had good results by pushing the screwdriver against the top of the clip diagonally so it displaces the clip from its groove.  Sometimes it takes a smack to pop the clip out but its the quickest and easiest way I've found.  Once the clip is dislodged you can get a pick under it and pull it back over the groove and out of the shock.  If you get it right the first time its a two minute procedure tops.

Went back to my video and he explains a nice way to get them out and it worked. Gotta love the Internet.

KYB Rear:

I don't put a shock together dry but I guess that will work. I always mount shock in vice by the top mounting lug only.

Mogs method works best for popping the circlips. Push the open ends down into the body and when they are deep enough the whole thing will turn and then you simply lift it out.