Sign in to follow this  

excessive 650r front sprocket "Rocking" on xrl650 splines

Last year I had rear bearings, chain and sprockets done all at the same time. I went with a 14/48 gear ratio. I had a bike mechanic do the work. He installed a stock xr650r front sprocket which I got from the dealer. An aluminium sprocket went on the back. He did a good job and followed the directions on here about doing the 650r sprocket mod to protect the splines. I was there to watch him do the work. The front sprocket was on tight and aligned properly with the back sprocket. The chain and rear sprocket are still in good shape. I took off the front sprocket cover  and if you grab onto the front sprocket at the top and bottom you can rock it back and forth on the spline quit a bit.??????????? I do not keep my chain too tight. I do drive the pig quite hard but why so much wear and movement.The splines appear to be in good shape. He had a hard time getting the front sprocket on and had to shave a bit off to get it on. I dont recall seeing any "rocking" when this was first installed.Why is there so much play now??

Edited by Thumper3

Pull it off,look at the splines,,did you grease them.......if good don`t worry about it..mine loosen a little during use..

B

Yeah, i will have to take a closer look. I hope the splines are ok. I thought the whole idea of going with a 650r front sprocket was to protect the splines...not destroy them. I know the splines were in good shape when the stock sprocket was on.

what brand CS sprocket did U install? When you pull it off you will hopefully find that the splines on the CS sprocket suffered the damage and not your CS.

what brand CS sprocket did U install? When you pull it off you will hopefully find that the splines on the CS sprocket suffered the damage and not your CS.

The 650r front sprocket was the oem honda unit from the dealer. Like you say, hopefully it is the splines on the sprocket itself that are worn and not the shaft. Im guessing there might be about 7,000km (4200 miles) of wear on that front sprocket. I thought you only have to worry about excessive wear on the cs sprocket if you drop down to a 13t?? However i do drive the pig quite hard. Always on the throttle hard. Is this to be expected? I have about 4000 miles on the front and rear brake pads and rear wheel bearing and they need replacing again... :ride:

Edited by Thumper3

You ride pavement much? Do you let it lug in lower rpms?

Edited by bork

You ride pavement much? Do you let it lug in lower rpms?

I ride on pavement normally just to get to the woods/trails. I would guess that the bike sees 30% road/70% dirt. I always have the "hammer down" on the pig. I flog it on a regular basis. I treat it like its an actual dirt bike in the woods. Lots of wheelies and rough terrain ect. I am shocked that it has not blown up or the fact that the clutch is not even slipping......lol. I only have about 4000miles (6000km) on the front/rear brake pads and rear wheel bearing and they need replacing. Im going to check the splines out this weekend. Hopfully its the sprocket splines that are worn like Natey mentioned and not the splines on the shaft. funny how i drove the pig hard with the stock 15 tooth cs on there and it was in great shape when it was taken off to do the xr650R mod. I have a new 14t xr600r sprocket im going to try.

Edited by Thumper3