2008 KLX450r?

So i have been looking for a bike for some time now and for the second time i have come across a 2008 klx450. The first time i passed on it but i found another one and it has made me think about it more. i just don't know if this is the right bike for me and what id use it for.

im already at high altitude (4500 feet) and would be doing mostly mountain trails. nothing really to wide open and the occasional narrow single track. i have read that these tend to boil when used at slow speeds? i definitely don't want to buy a bike that i will have to invest even more in like a new radiator. i know that these aren't built to go slow but is there really a bike that is?

what are your thoughts on my dilemma? thanks for your advice.

Edited by drave199

Overheating at low speeds typically isn't an issue if you aren't working the engine hard. I have never had an overheating issue even when riding aggressively at low speed such as rock gardens for example. You'll see guys boiling over in hard enduros but remember the pace.

Worst case, basic overheating is cured with a higher pressure cap and light antifreeze mix, Engine Ice or other additives.

That said, the big KLX wouldn't be my first choice for goat trails.

Overheating at low speeds typically isn't an issue if you aren't working the engine hard. I have never had an overheating issue even when riding aggressively at low speed such as rock gardens for example. You'll see guys boiling over in hard enduros but remember the pace.

Worst case, basic overheating is cured with a higher pressure cap and light antifreeze mix, Engine Ice or other additives.

That said, the big KLX wouldn't be my first choice for goat trails.

in other words, i shouldnt really worry about the overheating then and just get the bike i want?

not sure what you meant by goat? single track? what would you recommend to me then? id like to point out that while i am not new to riding, i definitely wouldn't call myself a expert.. i had a banshee for a few years and have an old kx250 now. im not to worried about this bike being to much for me but i could be wrong?

in other words, i shouldnt really worry about the overheating then and just get the bike i want?

not sure what you meant by goat? single track? what would you recommend to me then? id like to point out that while i am not new to riding, i definitely wouldn't call myself a expert.. i had a banshee for a few years and have an old kx250 now. im not to worried about this bike being to much for me but i could be wrong?

Yep, don't worry about overheating. Without race pace muddy hillclimbs it doesn't happen much. Worst case scenario is like gotta sit there idling in a race queue. This also happens when people get stuck in traffic on their dualsport. Then you put in a lighting coil and run a fan. No bike is less likely to overheat than another though really and none of them have fans from the factory. This is taking into account proper jetting o' course. Too lean will make a bike run hot.

Goat trail=singletrack. If you have been riding decent-size bikes for a while a 450 won't be too much for you to handle safety-wise. They are just pretty tiring in the woods. My impression of the KLX450 is that they are a great open country bike but WAY heavy and slow handling for singletrack. My CRF450R is tiring and it's a small, quick handling bike in comparison. My CRF250R is great for it though.

So really it's all relative. I'm sure that if your current bike is old enough or beat/worn enough then anything you get would be great in comparo. You can also get reduced-offset triple clamps to lighten up the steering. I went from stock 22* to 20* with a Pro Taper setup on my 450 and it made the bike handle a bit snappier.

So i have been looking for a bike for some time now and for the second time i have come across a 2008 klx450. The first time i passed on it but i found another one and it has made me think about it more. i just don't know if this is the right bike for me and what id use it for.

im already at high altitude (4500 feet) and would be doing mostly mountain trails. nothing really to wide open and the occasional narrow single track. i have read that these tend to boil when used at slow speeds? i definitely don't want to buy a bike that i will have to invest even more in like a new radiator. i know that these aren't built to go slow but is there really a bike that is?

what are your thoughts on my dilemma? thanks for your advice.

What's your reason for that? And like what?

Yeah Drave .. You have said you will be riding in areas that won't really suit the bike in question .

I am saying there are other choices , a 200 2T would be my choice . A YZ 250F set up for this kind of work would suit more .

Something which is more suited for the intended use , you would enjoy a lighter , easier to manoeuvre bike .