Sign in to follow this  

Fuel economy, 3 cheers to the kx's!

So 2-2000 kx250's, 1-2001 yz250, 1-2006(ish) yz250 and 1-2002(ish) rm250 go riding in the woods.  

Some set up for MX, some for woods, and one for logging roads(tall gearing).  

They had so much fun they forgot about fuel, rode too far, and someone ran outta gas on the way back.  Xfered fuel to the RM and continued.  Someone else ran out.  Xfered fuel to the old YZ and continued.  Then another ran out.  Xfered fuel to the new YZ and continued.  Someone ran out again.  Xfered fuel to the RM and continued.  Made it back to the trucks.  

All the gas came from my woods set up KX, and my buddies roached out and falling apart logging road geared KX(running a 525 chain, whole 'nother story).  Both had stock tanks at the time.

My bike I can see, despite doubling back a few times to find the lost/stuck rest of the group maybe 10 miles total, as I made the hills first try, usually don't scream the engine, don't stall(autoclutch), and am mostly jetted correctly.  My buddy on the other hand, bought his bike from an idiot who never maintained, had the wrong chain on, 45 tooth rear. 3 tooth(yes 3) front, blown rear shock, leaking fork seals in front etc.  He also didn't maintain, not even to change the oil. No way he's jetted right, his bike is shit basically(well, was shit, it's done proper now), and always running high rpm.   

How did we both have gas to give away, some left over at the end, while the others were running empty?  

KX for the win!

Edited by Greenmachine62

A 3 tooth front sprocket, how does that work?

Stripped like yo'momma.

He'd feel a crunching grinding noise whenever he hit the gas, thought his tranny was failing.  The three teeth were all together, started as a 13 tooth.  Had a 525 chain(too wide) Which was also eating away at his case.  How it still moved and didn't come off is wayyyy beyond me.

Stripped like yo'momma.

He'd feel a crunching grinding noise whenever he hit the gas, thought his tranny was failing.  The three teeth were all together, started as a 13 tooth.  Had a 525 chain(too wide) Which was also eating away at his case.  How it still moved and didn't come off is wayyyy beyond me.

Are you shitting me? Sigh.  Good thing he's further up north, so I don't accidentally buy that bike :|

He can get a cheap decent chain off rockymountain (or any site for that matter) that will not eat into his case.  Why would he run it knowing it is like that?  I have a spare 13 tooth sprocket laying around. Tho a high quality long lasting steel one is under 15 bucks online.

Glad to see the KX's get amazing mileage.  I ran my bike for 30 miles last go around.  Still had a lot left in the tank when I got back. I don't run mine open either.  Cruise speed... 

He's got it sorted now... had just bought it and ran it as was... I found cables routed wrong, the connector for the power valve(I think) was disconnected.. lotsa issues. The prev owner was an idiot... current owned just a bit lazy

Jetting, float height, gearing and riding style. There's nothing drastically different between the engines to warrant a large fuel economy difference amongst them.

I could see taking a loop on my old YZ with spot on jetting, correct float height and using momentum and finess to knock out 25 mpg or so. Jet it fat, set the float high (spills more out the overflows), and ride point-and-shoot with lots of heavy throttle and that'd likely be closer to 15-17 mpg. Same trail conditions.

He's got it sorted now... had just bought it and ran it as was... I found cables routed wrong, the connector for the power valve(I think) was disconnected.. lotsa issues. The prev owner was an idiot... current owned just a bit lazy

lol good man!  Hate to see him out riding sometime all effed up like that :|  KX > *

I would rather push my YZ out of the bush then ride a KX/blow dudes.... Really, it's pretty much the same thing....

Ouch.

That hurt my feeling.

Oh wait, (checks pants)nope. It's fine, those nude pics your wife sent made it feel all better.

Ouch.

That hurt my feeling.

Oh wait, (checks pants)nope. It's fine, those nude pics your wife sent made it feel all better.

See, you only get to look at my wife, I get to touch my wife... :rolleyes:

• Like 1