Sign in to follow this  

Tire question!

Hey guys I bought a new tire for my 86 honda xr250r...

The rim says 1.60 x 21

My old tire was a 80/100-21

My old tube is a Bridgestone 80/100-21

90/90...

It's hard to read the tube but I think is says 300-21?

My new tire is a IRC 3.00 - 21...

Simple question do I need a new tube? Or can I use the old one? It hasnt been ripped or torn and looks usable still.

The rim says 1.60 x 21

90/90...

Simple question do I need a new tube? Or can I use the old one? It hasnt been ripped or torn and looks usable still.

It will fit, I'd change the tube every 2-3 tires.

Mike

Edited by Flagstaff

It was flagged? I was just asking a general tire size question. Included the bike info just incase

It was flagged? I was just asking a general tire size question. Included the bike info just incase

That could have been me by accident. no worries.

Mike

Ohh im sorry all I saw was flagstaff... I thought it was flagged! Didnt see your comment! :) thank you very much Mike!

• Like 1

The rim says 1.60 x 21

90/90...

The best advise I can give you is, buy a new tube when you buy a new tire, specially if you're miss matching sizes.  Tubes are cheap, rims and tires are not.  Take your old one, fill it with air and throw it in the pool.  :thumbsup::devil:

Edited by YZ490-DEVIL

Well I threw it in already. I did check the tube up and down pretty well! I will be switching tires again in a month so I will do a tube change then. I figured I should have gotten a new one but it'll last a month I believe :)

The best advise I can give you is, buy a new tube when you buy a new tire, specially if you're miss matching sizes.  Tubes are cheap, rims and tires are not.  Take your old one, fill it with air and throw it in the pool.  :thumbsup::devil:

Typically the same tube covers all the sizes mentioned by the OP. Those sizes are very close.

Mike

• Like 1

Typically the same tube covers all the sizes mentioned by the OP. Those sizes are very close.

Mike

That's good to know, but when we're talking about an inner tube for under $10, why not just replace it all since the OP is certainly paying the price for a new tire?  If given the choice to spend $80 for a new tire and use my old inner tube and locks etc., vs. buying it all for $110, why not spend the extra change for piece of mind?  I'm a cheap bastard, but that only comes when I'm comparing prices between items, but when I look at from a systematic point of view, it never hurts for example to buy the gasket too when buying a new exhaust pipe.  Why not the same for tires?  But I am glad you responded as you seem versed in tire sizes.  Let me ask you this; (and I'm not being a punk about it ~ I just wish I had a converter to figure it out at times) in today's market, you rarely see any "new" tire sizes of say 5.60 x 18 for example, so how do you convert 5.60 to today's standards as in a tire size of 120/90/18?  I understand what each number represents, but how do you make the conversion? I've looked high and low on the net for a easy converter, but haven't had much luck. :devil:

I generally always replace tubes with tires. It may look ok, but why take the chance that you're going to need a tube before you need another tire, forcing you to remove and remount the same tire?

• Like 1

Its looking like everyone suggests getting a new tire! I guess ill just get a new tube haha its no big deal. Im definitely getting one for my back wheel when I do that tire next week!

And YZ I couldn't find a converter anywhere. Tire sizes always confused me sadly haha. But im slowly figuring them out! ;)

That's good to know, but when we're talking about an inner tube for under $10, why not just replace it all since the OP is certainly paying the price for a new tire?  If given the choice to spend $80 for a new tire and use my old inner tube and locks etc., vs. buying it all for $110, why not spend the extra change for piece of mind?  I'm a cheap bastard, but that only comes when I'm comparing prices between items, but when I look at from a systematic point of view, it never hurts for example to buy the gasket too when buying a new exhaust pipe.  Why not the same for tires?  But I am glad you responded as you seem versed in tire sizes.  Let me ask you this; (and I'm not being a punk about it ~ I just wish I had a converter to figure it out at times) in today's market, you rarely see any "new" tire sizes of say 5.60 x 18 for example, so how do you convert 5.60 to today's standards as in a tire size of 120/90/18?  I understand what each number represents, but how do you make the conversion? I've looked high and low on the net for a easy converter, but haven't had much luck. :devil:

Difference of opinion, that's OK. My system has worked for me for over 40 years so I'm comfortable with it.

My conversion information comes from dunlopmotorcycle.com. Lots of other good info there too, including the recommendation to always replace tubes. Hope that helps.

Mike

• Like 1

Difference of opinion, that's OK. My system has worked for me for over 40 years so I'm comfortable with it.

My conversion information comes from dunlopmotorcycle.com. Lots of other good info there too, including the recommendation to always replace tubes. Hope that helps.

Mike

We all have our own ways, to each his own.  Thanks for the link, I'll check them out once I'm finished here ranting. :thumbsup::devil:

• Like 1

Its looking like everyone suggests getting a new tire! I guess ill just get a new tube haha its no big deal. Im definitely getting one for my back wheel when I do that tire next week!

And YZ I couldn't find a converter anywhere. Tire sizes always confused me sadly haha. But im slowly figuring them out! ;)

Yeah I know what you mean.  In todays market, you rarely see new tires with just a size of say 5.60x18, now it's all 110/90/18 etc.  You can't go wrong buying a new inner tube as well.  Just piece of mind, like Mike said, we all have our own ways, so you'll have to figure it out yourself and get the experience under you belt so next time around you know.  Hope it all works out Mink.  :devil:

We all have our own ways, to each his own.  Thanks for the link, I'll check them out once I'm finished here ranting. :thumbsup::devil:

Just checked, couldn't find on Dunlop site, though it is Dunlop info. It's on Revzilla site and  appears to be designed for dealers, but still very good info.

Mike

Haha thanks for all the info and tips guys!

• Like 1