Got her running now what.....

I recently bought a 83 honda xl250R. It had been sitting for 25 years. I completely dissasembled the carb, I can get it to run if I use a little starting fluid, and turn the pitcock on half way and keep the choke on. if I turn the fuel line all the open it floods out, if I let the choke off it dies, I think the needle valve and float combo is bad but its the seat for the needle valve,I think it seems to stick..... Also when it starts it kills the battery, the headlight comes on automatically (first bike, don't know if its supposed to or not) the blinkers will not blink anymore. I had to replace the ground wire, I've been the 3rd person to fool with the bike, the orginal owner parked it in 86 and let it sit with old gas, 2 people tried to fix it for him before I bought it.... Should I buy a new carb? where can i get one? I see bike bandit sell aftermarket but are they any good? What should I look at in the wiring? I checked all the cables, they look good, i don't have a diagram though....

First off get a manual. Second go thru everything and make a list of needed parts. I see carb rebuild kits on e bay. I have a 1984 xr350r and the carbs are simple just soak it in hot water and simple green for a couple of hours and then thake it apart and clean it meticulously. Once you get inside it will be apparent what needs to be replaced. since it sat so long anything rubber is probly done for. hope it helps. I have a manual if u need me to post sum pages for u.

• Like 1

I cleaned the carb first thing lol, then again when it wouldoverflow, nasty is about all I can say about it, for a carb that is so easy to drain the guy let it sit and it was mass of solid gas in the bowl.... The needle valve in the bottom of the carb wont seal for the drain, it seals intermittenly now, but the needle valve that connects to the float to shut fuel off from coming in the bowl sticks, its works most of the time but I don't know if it is burred up or what but it feels gritty when I work it.... is there anyway to polish it and the seat without screwing them up? Also how far should the needle valve that sits outside of the bowl be cranked?.....Is there a page for the wiring diagram in the manual? Thank you very much for the help so far .

I would try some fine emory cloth wrapped aound a drill or dowel, chucked up to a drill motor to clean up the inlet needle bore. Look carefully at the seat, isn't it brass? Is it actually pitted with corrosion? If so, you're looking at replacing it.

The "needle valve" outside the bowl is called the fuel screw. It meters fuel for the pilot/idle circuit. Ideally, 2 turns out is what you're shooting for when properly jetted and adjusted. But no more than 3.

There usually IS a wiring diagram in the shop manual. I don't have a manual for an '83 or I'd post it for you.

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 1