Sign in to follow this  

discussion: What is my 2002 KTM 400 EXC worth?

I recently bought a 2002 KTM 400 EXC. It is in good condition - it starts right up, doesn't smoke, shifts through the gears smoothly, and has no bad mechanical sounds that would indicate that anything is horribly wrong. It drives and handles as it should - straight and tight. Everything else on the bike seems to be in good condition. I understand that this is a 12 year old motocross motorcycle, and there are things that I will need to fix or replace - normal stuff. I know the previous owners, and they are all experienced motocross riders, with many years of riding and maintaining motorcycles.

So here is my question - as I go through the bike, and rebuild / replace / upgrade the bike, there is a point where I will spend more than the bike is worth. I realize this point is different for everyone, but I am wondering what everyone thinks that amount is.

I paid $1200 for the bike and it has a clean title. I just bought a set of Shinko 700 tires, Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes, Motion Pro Lite Locks (rim locks), new rim strips, and all new spokes. I also had Zip Ty Racing rebuild and upgrade the carb. At this point, I now have a total investment of $2000 into the bike. I figure I will spend another $500 making the bike street legal (Tusk Enduro Lighting Kit), a rear fender rack, and a larger 3.4 gallon gas tank.

At $2500, have I now reached or exceeded the point where I have too much money into this bike?

My other posts have pictures of the bike, the carb rebuild, and rebuilding the rims and tires.

I did some checking on websites like Bike finds and Craigslist.

A well maintained 400 EXC is going for between $2000 to $3000, depending on mileage and upgrades.

I am  just trying to keep my project within reasonable limits.

I think I'll end up with a nice street legal trail bike that should hold most, if not all its value.