2009 stripped engine oil drain plug

Hi guys,i need your help.

I have to put an elicoil into the engine oil drain plug of my crf 450 r 2009,but I have a doubt.

Inside the hole there is another side hole (red circle in the picture)...is possible to cover with the helicoil or i have to put the helicoil above this hole? i think is for the oil drain.

I use a vcoil kit m8x1.25 with helicoil lenght of 8mm...It enough or i have to use the 12mm helicoil? i do the work at engine closed.

I accept other tips for doing a good job.thanks

35c3cjn.jpg

i don't know about the 09 and later, but that red circle is not the trans side drain hole of the 02-08 crf450r. The trans side threaded hole, that people including myself often strip, is the very next hole at about the "1 O'clock" position from your red circle. It's in the lower corner of the cavity above/left of that red circle

Edited by MELK-MAN

i know that hole it's not the trans oil drain,but i think that a part of the engine oil can get out of this hole and an helicoil can stop partially the flow.

The first part of the drain hole is smooth with this hole in the side, and the thread starts higher ... there must be a reason

That photo is a right side case half. i would be very surprised if the hole i described is NOT the trans oil drain.. just like it is on the 02-08. How do you think the trans side oil that is lubricating the clutch, gets from that side to the left side of the bike where you unscrew the long bolt from ???  the oil is on the opposite side of that case half you posted above.. the long drain bolt blocks that hole above/right of your red circle, then it is allowed to come out of the transmission area AND the clutch side of the case halves.

Edited by MELK-MAN
  • Like 1

Hi Paradise 89,

For repairing my 2012 CRF450 -wich I assume shares parts with the 09- cranckcase (engine) oil drain plug I also used a V-Coil M8x1,25 with coil length 8mm.

Procedure; (with bike laying on its side)

-Put grease on the drill and clean often, while drilling as peripendicular as possible. Relatively low rpm's!

-After drilling is completed remove all remaining metal shavings with some little softtip stick (what women use for makeup or whatever)  with grease on it.

-Same exercise while cutting the thread, keep straight and clean very often!

-When finished rinse cranckcase with some thin oil to flush remaining shavings out. (some will come out later though, so clean your oilfilter after your next ride)

-Insert V-coil flush with where the original thread was, and brake of the inserting pin.

-Insert drain Plug with new ring and your done. This worked out great for me, better then the original thread!

-Good luck,and let us know if you succeeded. ?

Edited by frankdecrosser
  • Like 1

That photo is a right side case half. i would be very surprised if the hole i described is NOT the trans oil drain.. just like it is on the 02-08. How do you think the trans side oil that is lubricating the clutch, gets from that side to the left side of the bike where you unscrew the long bolt from ???  the oil is on the opposite side of that case half you posted above.. the long drain bolt blocks that hole above/right of your red circle, then it is allowed to come out of the transmission area AND the clutch side of the case halves.

the hole that you described is the transmission oil drain ,but has nothing to do with my doubt. forget it

i'm talking about the ENGINE SIDE OIL.

I stripped the engine oil drain thread that is below this crankcase.

In this drain hole there is the first part that is smooth(without thread) and in the side of this first part there is this small hole (red circle).If I put the helicoil, this hole(red circle) will partially covered.

I want to know if this small hole (red circle) does drain out the oil when i remove the screw.

Hi Paradise 89,

For repairing my 2012 CRF450 -wich I assume shares parts with the 09- cranckcase (engine) oil drain plug I also used a V-Coil M8x1,25 with coil length 8mm.

Procedure; (with bike laying on its side)

-Put grease on the drill and clean often, while drilling as peripendicular as possible. Relatively low rpm's!

-After drilling is completed remove all remaining metal shavings with some little softtip stick (what women use for makeup or whatever)  with grease on it.

-Same exercise while cutting the thread, keep straight and clean very often!

-When finished rinse cranckcase with some thin oil to flush remaining shavings out. (some will come out later though, so clean your oilfilter after your next ride)

-Insert V-coil flush with where the original thread was, and brake of the inserting pin.

-Insert drain Plug with new ring and your done. This worked out great for me, better then the original thread!

-Good luck,and let us know if you succeeded. ?

thank you for the reply.

some question for you frankdecrosser

1- have you drilled all the old thread and rethreaded all the hole or just the part interested for the helicoil?

2- have you put the helicoil just in the start of hole or higher?

3- can you confirm that the first part of the drain hole is bigger than m8 (as big as the tip from 8.3mm supplied with the v-coil kit) and without thread?

thank you

I just checked the partnrs, right case half for '12 and '09 have the same number so don't worry about the thread blocking your oil flow.

ok perfect...then what is that little hole (red circle) if you know?

1- as far as I can remember I drilled away all old thread. (not 100% sure)

2- V-coil at start of the hole, but I seem to remember it was partly in the "Chamber"

3- I think the V-coil drills away all old threads, and you can insert the vcoil at start of drain hole. I am sure I did.

It was a pretty easy job, except for drilling peripendiculary.

Chamber with red circle corresponds with left cranckcase half for oil drainage.(Ignition side)

• Like 1

1- as far as I can remember I drilled away all old thread. (not 100% sure)

2- V-coil at start of the hole, but I seem to remember it was partly in the "Chamber"

3- I think the V-coil drills away all old threads, and you can insert the vcoil at start of drain hole. I am sure I did.

It was a pretty easy job, except for drilling peripendiculary.

Chamber with red circle corresponds with left cranckcase half for oil drainage.(Ignition side)

what do you mean with "partly in the chamber" ?

so it is sure to cover the small hole marked in red with the helicoil does not block the exit of the oil when the bolt is removed? sorry for my insistence but do not want do any damage

thank you

As far as I remember maybe some small part of coil was in the spacing with red circle, i.e. not beared by aluminium around whole circumference of coil.

At first i had the same thoughts about a possible blockage, but there is no other way to do this, and oil will flow out so no problem.

Insert coil no further than almost flush with sealing surface.

Pour some oil in and check if you have doubts.

As said before, with some tecnical insight this is a fairly easy job.

Edited by frankdecrosser
  • Like 1

As far as I remember maybe some small part of coil was in the spacing with red circle, i.e. not beared by aluminium around whole circumference of coil.

At first i had the same thoughts about a possible blockage, but there is no other way to do this, and oil will flow out so no problem.

Insert coil no further than almost flush with sealing surface.

Pour some oil in and check if you have doubts.

As said before, with some tecnical insight this is a fairly easy job.

tomorrow i do the work...i let you know if everything is gone fine

many many thanks for the tips :worthy:

• 3 weeks later...