Sign in to follow this  

Front wheel not spinning free

Today was the first day I rode my bike since last season and noticed the front wheel does not spin as freely as I remembered and seemed to get worse as the day went on. Any ideas on what to check. I already checked fork alignment and made sure they arent pinching at the axle the only way I know (spin tire and tap front brakes)

I noticed ever since I put on my oversized front rotor kit, it never spun as free as the stock rotor, but I triple checked everything and it all checks out, so I was thinking it's just in my head. Could this be normal?

Tapping the front brake? That doesn't do anything. The front suspension has to be compressed against something solid like a wall or a block or something with the pinch bolts loose.

As far as as brakes go, it might be time for an oil change.

I just put in brand new brake fluid when I switched to my oversized rotor.

Increased drag from the pads is normal when you install a larger rotor, because it has greater leverage over the wheel. But you're only going to notice this when spinning the wheel on the stand, not when riding.

If there is actually enough resistance that you can feel it while you are riding however, I'd be inclined to say you have a wheel bearing problem.

Pry the brake shoes away from the rotor and then spin the front tire to see if it is the brakes dragging. If not, then it is most likely the bearings.

I pryed away the brake pads and the wheel spins perfectly fine. It's just the added drag of the oversized rotor causing the wheel to stop spinning so quick

Edited by EvoJoeIX

Mine did the same thing. I didn't like it so, I went back to the stock pads and that fixed it.

I'm not gonna do that. I love these pads on this rotor, so much stopping power. I don't see how anyone rides a 450 with a stock front brake setup

Interesting.  Especially your comment about it getting worse as the ride day went on.

Maybe something wrong with that fluid you recently put in there.

Are the caliper piston skirts spotless smooth and clean?

I'm with you on the oversized rotor mod. It took me years to see the light.

I think it was just in my head that it was getting worse as the day went on. It could of also been all the mud build up on the bike. It was a very muddy day when I was riding