shims under the base plate?

i recently re-valved the forks on my 2007 kx250f. when i was taking the stack and piston off i noticed there were shims under the base plate. it looks to have been factory installed because the threads above the nut looked untouched as i had to file them off when i took it apart. are those shims under the base plate suppose to be there? if so, should i have left them there instead of removing them?

That stack needs to be there.  It controls a low speed valve behind the baseplate (built into the stem).  If you remove it, you have to put in spacers to allow those ports to flow, or it's not going to feel right.

Race Tech doesn't really address the bleed stack issue like they should in the instructions. If you took off the base valve and all of the smaller shims after it, down to the shims that cover the baseplate and then added more shims of the same diameter you have a bleed stack, a VERY stiff one. If that's the case, your compression clickers probably don't feel as though they are changing things much.

Most motocrossers, fast woods riders, heavy riders and/or heavy bikes, etc. need the bleed stack to keep the front end from diving in turns, during braking, etc. This is a trade off in the small chop. You have to hit something hard enough to blow that stack open or the oil will never flow through the bleed circuit (comp clicker). This results in a stiffer ride through the small chop. Most woods riders don't need the bleed stack and I usually take it out for them (myself included). This can be done a few different ways. I usually pack shims that are smaller than the base plate and larger than the last high speed shim in its place.

I hope that all makes sense and answered a few questions.

FYI guys, the '07 KX250f doesn't have a low speed valve so there is no "bleed" stack, they are just shims to space the valve up high enough to thread the nut on correctly. Leave them or remove them, it doesn't have any effect on the compression circuit.

FYI guys, the '07 KX250f doesn't have a low speed valve so there is no "bleed" stack, they are just shims to space the valve up high enough to thread the nut on correctly. Leave them or remove them, it doesn't have any effect on the compression circuit.

that is really good to know. i thought i was gonna have to take it apart again lol.