Sign in to follow this  

'90 xr250r stalls after starting

So I recently came into a 250r. Before I started working on it a few weeks ago it hadn't been started in about 5yrs. First I replaced the gas, made sure I was getting a spark and cleaned the carb. This allowed me to get it firing. I can now get it started regularly, but it's still extremely difficult.

The problem: I can get it to start now, but it always dies shortly, if not immediately, after starting. The longest I've gotten it started for is about 90 seconds. Then after that, it becomes increasingly more difficult to start.

I've tried turning the idle up, which helps but doesn't solve the problem.

I've loosened the air fuel screw, and tightened it but haven't found that either makes much difference.

After successful attempts of getting it started, and then giving up once it won't any longer, I've noticed the spark plug is damp with fuel. I'm guessing this means my mixture is too rich. Is this due to the air fuel screw?

Advice and tips greatly appreciated. Why can't I keep her running? What am I doing wrong or forgetting to check? I haven't even been able to actually ride it yet. Help!

Have you checked that you have steady flow of fuel out of your gas line when it is not connected to your carb, could be just getting enough gas to run for a short bit then starve for fuel.

Tryingoutdirt, yes, the fuel flows fine from the petcock, and the line, as well as the intake on the carb are all clear.

Wouldn't the fact that my spark plug is wet indicate that I'm getting too much fuel?

Its not an air/fuel screw, just fuel, it meters fuel for the pilot circuit, the circuit that is used for starting the bike. Out is richer, in is leaner. Set it at 2 turns out for now.

If you didn't remove the fuel screw and clean that passage when you cleaned the carb, then you didn't really clean it.

Are you using the choke correctly? All the way up on the lever is full choke. All the way down is choke off. A lot of folks get this backwards.

Valve clearances that are out of spec will make for hard starting.

Replace the spark plug.