Sign in to follow this  

Sticking clutch.?

So when I sit on the bike(not started havent had it running yet this year) and put it into 1st gear, with the clutch in it still stays in gear as if the clutch is out. No matter how many times I try to rock it back and forth I can't break the clutch away. I had a similar problem that started happening with my Yamaha XS400 after running energy conserving oil that wasn't motorcycle specific. I have only run castrol motorcycle specific oil in my 2 stroke.

What do I do?

Edited by Gotanubike

Your plates are just stuck together. Pull your clutch cover off and free them up. It's easier than a bunch of screwing around on the outside of the bike. You didn't say what kinda bike it is but most decent bikes have a clutch access plate with an o-ring behind it.

So when I sit on the bike(not started havent had it running yet this year) and put it into 1st gear, with the clutch in it still stays in gear as if the clutch is out. No matter how many times I try to rock it back and forth I can't break the clutch away. I had a similar problem that started happening with my Yamaha XS400 after running energy conserving oil that wasn't motorcycle specific. I have only run castrol motorcycle specific oil in my 2 stroke.

What do I do?

Drain your oil, use better oil, and stop trying to change gears with it with the engine off, specially if it hasn't run in four months.  Of course you're plates are stuck together, the oil will do that and is why you have to warm up the bike.  Oil get's sticky specially cold.  Once you've warmed it up, you won't have that problem.  If you do, then you're plates have fused together and freeing them up like sandlvr69 said is your only option.  I've got to give you a "duh" here bro.  I realize you may not know, but you have to realize the bike isn't going to do shit unless you start it. Change oil for good measure, then sit on the bike, start it, and try again. :devil: 

• Like 2

had the same problem with my kx 250 i switched from conventional oil for my bik to ATF and everything is so much better. engagement is better. finding neutral is easier, shifts smoother

Drain your oil, use better oil, and stop trying to change gears with it with the engine off, specially if it hasn't run in four months.  Of course you're plates are stuck together, the oil will do that and is why you have to warm up the bike.  Oil get's sticky specially cold.  Once you've warmed it up, you won't have that problem.  If you do, then you're plates have fused together and freeing them up like sandlvr69 said is your only option.  I've got to give you a "duh" here bro.  I realize you may not know, but you have to realize the bike isn't going to do shit unless you start it. Change oil for good measure, then sit on the bike, start it, and try again. :devil:

It was more of a precautionary measure to ask and see what the best solution is to tackle the issue for I go riding

'90 KDX200, you do not have a quick access cover. Do like YZ490-Devil suggests and warm it up nice and toasty in neutral then drop it into first. It'll either free up or stop the engine. It'll probably just bust loose and be fine.

Put it on a stand, pull the clutch in and switch to 1st. The rear wheel will keep spinning since the plates are stuck, then give it a good amount of throttle and slam the rear brake. That'll break the plates free

Edit-spelling

Edited by zotis777

It was more of a precautionary measure to ask and see what the best solution is to tackle the issue for I go riding

I understand and felt it might be, but I've got to say too, I think it would be best to change your oil, service your rig as best you can, and more importantly, make sure it starts before you load it, then take it riding and then realize it won't start or run .  It was a no brainer and is why I kind of went blunt on  you.  But I do understand and welcome your inquiries. I suggest you go over it with a tooth and comb before you invest the time and effort to go riding.  Grab yourself a can a WD40 too and go over a few levers and cables.  Make sure you don't have any loose or missing bolts, otherwise any problem there just becomes a bigger problem later.  Good luck. :thumbsup::devil: 

What do I do?

It's perfectly normal. When the engine is running, the centrifugal force slings the oil out from between the plates of the spinning clutch. But when the engine is not running, pulling the clutch lever in actually causes oil to get sucked up between the plates, and thick cold oil adds a considerable amount of resistance and drag.

Start the engine and everything will be fine.

It's perfectly normal. When the engine is running, the centrifugal force slings the oil out from between the plates of the spinning clutch. But when the engine is not running, pulling the clutch lever in actually causes oil to get sucked up between the plates, and thick cold oil adds a considerable amount of resistance and drag.

Start the engine and everything will be fine.

that is correct :thumbsup:  for the price i would recommend you give some ATF a go that might help. also tho it may be youre basket is getting notched so try the atf. if youre still have problems. take of the clutch cover and check and see if the basket is getting notched. also while you are at it with the clutch cover off do like what sandlvr was saying....

Your plates are just stuck together. Pull your clutch cover off and free them up. It's easier than a bunch of screwing around on the outside of the bike. You didn't say what kinda bike it is but most decent bikes have a clutch access plate with an o-ring behind it.

Just picked up a really nice 1981 KDX175 that is beyond mint.

Same issue- clutch pull and actuation (lever and the actuator) is fine but no clutch, really.

Bike has been sitting for 30 years.

I put gas in it, turned the petcock on (did replace the fuel line) tapped the carb bown, choke on and fired first kick!

Settled into a nice bing-bing-bing-bing idle.

The tranny fluid looked good after letting a bit weep out of a loosened drain bolt and I sort of figured I was good. The bike was obviously stored properly.

But, I wasn't sure what was in there and it certainly wasn't fresh so I did a drain and refill.

Do you think the plates will loosen on their own? That has to be the issue- 30 years?

Took this last night at 6:00

winchampMaine036_zps62d3a1dd.jpg

Edited by urnuts

WOW!. Very nice! 

The guys over at kdxrider.net would love to see that

The only thing relating to the clutch problem is that I heard the friction plates can become contaminated or something and should be scrubbed clean or replaced.

Edited by Gotanubike