Sign in to follow this  

Quick Sprocket Question

So I am currently swapping my sprocket for a smaller on, the one I am putting on HAS been used. Do I have to put it on in a certain direction? I can't seem to find any markings telling me which direction it spins.

Edit: it's the rear sprocket.

Edit 2: Well, I'm officially an idiot. The sprocket only fits on one direction.

Edited by riottaco

So I am currently swapping my sprocket for a smaller on, the one I am putting on HAS been used. Do I have to put it on in a certain direction? I can't seem to find any markings telling me which direction it spins.

Look at the witness marks on the old one & put it on the same way.

Sprockets wear and they are cheap, so used sprockets aren't always the best idea.

Is this a front sprocket or rear sprocket? As mentioned if you look at it closely you can probably figure it out based on the wear pattern.

• Like 1

Sprockets wear and they are cheap, so used sprockets aren't always the best idea.

Is this a front sprocket or rear sprocket? As mentioned if you look at it closely you can probably figure it out based on the wear pattern.

It's the rear sprocket

Look at the witness marks on the old one & put it on the same way.

I am pretty new to this, so I don't exactly know what that means.

Dont they only go one way? Pretty sure there are only conluntersinks on one side..

• Like 2

Dont they only go one way? Pretty sure there are only conluntersinks on one side..

Well, you just made me realize how much of an idiot I am.

Well, you just made me realize how much of an idiot I am.

Got to learn somewhere. None of us started out rebuilding engines.

• Like 2

Got to learn somewhere. None of us started out rebuilding engines.

Yeahhh, I'm scheduled to install a 434 big bore next week with my brother. I'm thinking I might just bring it in to get it done.

Yeahhh, I'm scheduled to install a 434 big bore next week with my brother. I'm thinking I might just bring it in to get it done.

Youll never learn if you dont get your hands dirty! You would have figured the sprocket thing out as soon as you tried to put it on. Just get yourself a service manual and read up on here on the bbk install. Take your time and make sure you do it somewhere that you can stop and leave it for a bit while you come back here to ask questions!

• Like 1