Sign in to follow this  

2006 cr85 rear shock rebuild?

My brother has a 2006 cr85 he said his shock was loose so I went to tighten it a couple clicks but it went as tight as it can go. I can almost push the shock all the way down with one hand. It has never been rebuilt or anything. Are the shocks on these bikes just really loose or does it need a rebuild?

My brother has a 2006 cr85 he said his shock was loose so I went to tighten it a couple clicks but it went as tight as it can go. I can almost push the shock all the way down with one hand. It has never been rebuilt or anything. Are the shocks on these bikes just really loose or does it need a rebuild?

Probably needs a rebuild. Pro Action just done my buddys sons cr85 rear. It was right about 100 bucks if I recall correctly. Turned out really nice for him.

Edited by wykyd450r

Can you get your suspension done at a dealership?

I imagine so. I guess they'd be more likely to rebuild it to factory specs.

It's not difficult to rebuild the rear shock if you want to tackle it yourself. The front forks have more parts, and more steps, to rebuild them than the rear shock. The only caveat to working on the rear shock is getting the nitrogen recharged when you are done. I spent $64 on a shock rebuild kit with all parts needed, and then $35 just for the nitrogen. So, if a professional shop will do it for $100 you may want to go that route. I was re-shimming when I rebuilt mine so I wanted to do it all myself.