Sign in to follow this  

1st Dual Sport event tomorrow. What should I expect?

I consider myself a beginner when riding in the dirt and am going to register for my first organized event tomorrow. What should I expect as a noob for how these events are generally run? Also I do not have a roll chart holder or gps. Is it normally a problem to just follow someone who does have one so we can get lost together?

Never been on one. Sounds fun though! I've been riding street for about 20 years now, but I'm new to this dirt and dual sport stuff too. I'm sure you'll have a blast. Take pictures!

I find that more people seem to be geographically challenged than not, so if it were me, I'd at least be packing a map and studying the route thoroughly the night before. Let us know how your day turned out. 

Had a blast yesterday on the ride. Met some nice people and tagged along with two other guys since I didn't have GPS or a roll chart. The start was a bit hectic as the roads on the route to leave out of SLO were closed due to the SLO marathon that was also going on that day but we eventually found our way out and on course. I didn't take many pictures but here is one at our lunch/fuel stop mid day and one of the teeter totter towards the end of the ride.

10174859_10203101747458686_7215792024607

10171102_10203101747898697_1154194996045

10300776_10203101747698692_7150216915733

I find that more people seem to be geographically challenged than not, so if it were me, I'd at least be packing a map and studying the route thoroughly the night before. Let us know how your day turned out. 

It was on my local trails so other that the sections that were on private land, I knew most of the route already. :thumbsup:

SLO Penguins dual sport is one of the best. I have run it a few times with friends and had a blast. We usually get to SLO on Friday morning and head over to Pismo Beach and rent some quads just for fun and tear it up in the sand for a couple of hours.

We have also taken the wives with us as they can entertain themselves when we head out to ride.

The water in the river/creek looks really low this year. I have been through it when the front fender is nosediving.

Good to see others from this forum attended! While hanging out with Helen (USFS ranger doing spark arrestor/ registration inspections) waiting for stragglers to catch up, she said they had already counted over 350 riders, good turnout!  How did you fare on the teeter totter? I rode sweep so I was surprised it was still in one piece when I got there around 3:30, it's much less intimidating when it isn't missing half the boards! The water looked to be about 1-2' lower than usual but I managed to stall my bike at the creek crossing AFTER going over the teeter totter... it was only knee deep and I was trying to be polite to the women/children that were playing right there, next time I'll soak 'em! At least you got a few pictures, I rarely take any and then regret not doing so when it's over.

• Like 1

Sadly, I did not attempt the teeter totter but I will next year. I went mostly just to check out the action with the other guy I was tagging along with since I didn't have gps or a roll map. The trail conditions were so different out in Pozo compared to the previous day riding out there. I thought the ground would have held a little more of the moisture but conditions were still pretty epic. Wish I would have taken more pictures or strapped on my gopro to catch some more of the fun/memories.

Good to see others from this forum attended! While hanging out with Helen (USFS ranger doing spark arrestor/ registration inspections) waiting for stragglers to catch up, she said they had already counted over 350 riders, good turnout!

So was it known that USFS was going to be checking or was it just random that they happened to be there? I never end up seeing them out there.

So was it known that USFS was going to be checking or was it just random that they happened to be there? I never end up seeing them out there.

It's required as part of the permit. I'm not part of the process so I don't know all the details but they do the registration/sparky check at all of the organized (pay to enter) events out there. USFS was setup at the sign up table for the poker run at Pozo 2 weeks ago, and at the Hangover race at Pozo on new years day. I believe the Penguins entry form stated that thete would be an inspection. The forest service policy (at least in this ranger district) is 100% spark arrestor inspection anytime they encounter a motorcycle/OHV.

Ah, didn't know it's part of the permit. Yes it did say there would be an inspection. I guess I thought it would be before the ride like tech inspection at the race track.

the sheetiron 300 is sold out now, but you should try that one too.  it's a two day ride from Stonyford to Fort Bragg and back.

nothing real technical, but lot's of fun trails connected together for a long haul.

the sheetiron 300 is sold out now, but you should try that one too.  it's a two day ride from Stonyford to Fort Bragg and back.

nothing real technical, but lot's of fun trails connected together for a long haul.

Hmmm, the real cool part of the Sheetiron is the fact that there IS the "hard split" and the "easy split" and on some years the hard split is Fricking hard!! (weather dependant)Yet I've completed 8 Sheetiron's and have loved every one of them!!! First Class event, put on by first class people!!