Sign in to follow this  

Which Air Filter?

The Moose, I saw a guy do a write up about airfilters and dirt passing through them. He rigged up a shop vac to pull air through the filer and then through dust all over the filter. The Moose and the No-Toil Premium filters where hands down the best filters.

• Like 1

The Moose, I saw a guy do a write up about airfilters and dirt passing through them. He rigged up a shop vac to pull air through the filer and then through dust all over the filter. The Moose and the No-Toil Premium filters where hands down the best filters.

Well that certainly sounds like a scientific test...:lol:

The condition of the filter and how well it is oiled are the main factors in how well it filters. All foam filters will do a good job if properly oiled.

A filter with smaller pores may possibly catch more dirt, but the trade-off will be less air flow. As with all things, there are compromises.

I run Twin-Air filters and have no issues with dirt passing through them.

• Like 1

Well that certainly sounds like a scientific test...:lol:

The condition of the filter and how well it is oiled are the main factors in how well it filters. All foam filters will do a good job if properly oiled.

A filter with smaller pores may possibly catch more dirt, but the trade-off will be less air flow. As with all things, there are compromises.

This is exactly what I was thinking, less air flow, was wondering if anyone could point out a real advantage of using a triple layer filter!

• Like 1

This is exactly what I was thinking, less air flow, was wondering if anyone could point out a real advantage of using a triple layer filter!

Well, I do run a nylon stocking over my filter as a "filter skin". When it starts to get dirty in the middle of the day I yank it off and have a still mostly clean filter underneath. I doubt the stocking has even the slightest effect on air flow, though.

Well, I do run a nylon stocking over my filter as a "filter skin". When it starts to get dirty in the middle of the day I yank it off and have a still mostly clean filter underneath. I doubt the stocking has even the slightest effect on air flow, though.

Interesting, any pics?

LOL no, but it's pretty simple, just slide a knee-high nylon stocking over the filter after you install the filter in the bike. One of my buddies even ties a string to his and leaves that string sticking out the back of his seat above the fender so he can just yank the string to remove the stocking from the filter without removing his seat.

• Like 2

I would stick with twin air with the experiences that I have had with both brands of filters. I had a moose filter come apart on me before. Don't get me wrong, the filter was not "new", but the amount of time that the filter had on it didn't warrant it coming apart like it did. Then again, opinions are like buttholes......

• Like 1

Out of those two I would go twin air, simply because I trust the brand name more as I've never ran a moose filter personally. I'm sure both are fine.

I use hiflofiltro on my bike now. No issues. I also run filter skins on dusty race days.

uni, twin air, maxima pro filters. They are all pretty good.

I have run uni filters mostly and kept them for a very long time. I generally carry 2 or 3 filters with me pre oiled and ready to go and change them a lot. If I ride a day at the track depending on dust. I will change it 1 or 2 times that day.

If not dusty I won't change it until I wash bike.

They have not had problems with dirt passing through and I don't over oil them either.

I work oil into it and be done. Not able to squeeze oil out of it either.

If it is a really bad dusty day I will oil a bunch but not usual here on the east coast

Well that certainly sounds like a scientific test... :lol:

Actually the guys air filter experiment was quite thorough and consistent between tests. Definitely worth looking at.

Well that certainly sounds like a scientific test... :lol:

I think this was the test 6Riders and Wild Alaskan were referring to.  If that is the case, the guy did a damn good job of keeping other variables out of the equation and ran a fairly controlled, close-to-real-life test.

http://haroldbawlzangya.com/air-filter-test/

Edited by yz250f_spud

Why do you feel that?  Even on  my 1987 CR250 which I hardly ever ride the OEM filter has a two stage element with a sewn in denser gasket face to the airbox with a sewn in rubber sealing face for the filter cage I mean it's totally way better quality than any aftermarket I have ever seen and it only costs $35 and needs to be replaced annually if I ride a lot during the year.  Now my 1987 Honda filter was the best I have ever seen but even my 2001 Yamaha filter isn't that bad.  It is still a top quality two stage filter with a high density foam bonded in for the filter to airbox seal and it still costs less than $35 and still lasts more than a year.  Best of all there are no fitment issues because it was designed to fit that exact airbox.  What does the aftermarket have to offer that is better?

• Like 1

I would never put a moose anything in or on my bike but if it's something that protects the air going into your carb and engine even more reason to stay away.