Sign in to follow this  

My plug wrench won't fit

I got new radiator hoses. They are however way thicker than the oem ones. Due to this I can't get my wrench to slip over the plug. I thought about filing down the hose where the clamp is a little to get just enough clearance. Anyone have any other ideas or closed end wrenches that are thinner to slip past that can be suggested?

• Like 1

I got new radiator hoses. They are however way thicker than the oem ones. Due to this I can't get my wrench to slip over the plug. I thought about filing down the hose where the clamp is a little to get just enough clearance. Anyone have any other ideas or closed end wrenches that are thinner to slip past that can be suggested?

I have the same problem on my o1 cr250 with a rachet wrench i had i just use an open end to snug it or break it loose , spin the rest by hand it's faster anyway  :thumbsup:

I have the same problem on my o1 cr250 with a rachet wrench i had i just use an open end to snug it or break it loose , spin the rest by hand it's faster anyway :thumbsup:

yea my open end side fits on enough just barely to snug it as well lol. Thanks. good to see I am not the only one with the problem and that it is somewhat normal. Radiators were such a pain to get on with the new hoses and I probably should have shortened them down a little. But I said screw it. I just elbow greased the shit out of it.

yea my open end side fits on enough just barely to snug it as well lol. Thanks. good to see I am not the only one with the problem and that it is somewhat normal. Radiators were such a pain to get on with the new hoses and I probably should have shortened them down a little. But I said screw it. I just elbow greased the shit out of it.

You can get a el'cheapo boxed end and put it on the grinder to make it real thin , i have one of those also . Don't use a good one. My son ground one of my snapon screwdrivers down to make a punch instead of just going to get a punch  :facepalm:

• Like 2

You can get a el'cheapo boxed end and put it on the grinder to make it real thin , i have one of those also . Don't use a good one. My son ground one of my snapon screwdrivers down to make a punch instead of just going to get a punch :facepalm:

Damn lol. I didn't think of that I believe I will try that with my uncle's bench grinder when my bike is finally completed. Then just take it over there and keep grinding till it fits.
  • Like 1

MSR plug wrench for $8...simple light and thin.

thin as in clearance from the inside of the wrench to the outside diameter or just flat? I need the inner and outer thin take a close look at this picture. Look how close the hose is to the plug where the wrench would fit over at the bottom near the clamp.

1398569412361.jpg

I tell my son all the time you have to be smarter than the chit you're working on :lol:

well i learned my lesson by messing up two lower shock linkages. One messed up the race and the other I snapped in two with the press cuz I thought you can press them out and you can't cuz that's where the bearing seats at. That's when I learned u have to use a punch or after I broke them, I used my tusk bearing puller on one of the broken pieces for shits and figured it out. Lol Edited by chadster54321
  • Like 1

thin as in clearance from the inside of the wrench to the outside diameter or just flat? I need the inner and outer thin take a close look at this picture. Look how close the hose is to the plug where the wrench would fit over at the bottom near the clamp.

Yea just grind the outside of the boxed end of the wrench all the way around it until it's thin enough to go over the plug and not touch the hose. My 05 had two hoses right there . The 01 just has one like yours. 

• Like 1

Yea just grind the outside of the boxed end of the wrench all the way around it until it's thin enough to go over the plug and not touch the hose. My 05 had two hoses right there . The 01 just has one like yours.

two hoses?! Holy shit batman one is trouble enough lol. I battled my hoses and radiators. However I know sometime in the future I need to get new radiators. One has some kind of green epoxy where someone repaired it.

Thin around the plug.....

IMAG0186.jpgIMAG0187.jpg

I keep mine in my tool pack while riding. Light weight too.

I may buy it but would mainly be so I could carry it on trails. For now ill try the grinder But I always pack tools in the car cuz I mainly am going to try to ride track this year but ya never know.

I'm all about the cheap when it comes to stuff like this and spend my money on Mo' betta parts  :lol:  I can buy 8 chinese 5/8 wrenches and grind em' down and lose 7 of them on the trail and i'm still ok .  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

You can get a el'cheapo boxed end and put it on the grinder to make it real thin , i have one of those also . Don't use a good one. My son ground one of my snapon screwdrivers down to make a punch instead of just going to get a punch :facepalm:

Hahahah, that sounds exactly like something i would do to one of my dad's screwdrivers. He wouldn't be happy lol. Fathers deserve some kind of award, especially ones who have to deal with little chitheads like myself.

• Like 1

Hahahah, that sounds exactly like something i would do to one of my dad's screwdrivers. He wouldn't be happy lol. Fathers deserve some kind of award, especially ones who have to deal with little chitheads like myself.

It wouldn't have been a big deal if he'd not grabbed one of the 30 dollar ones and got a no name. I buy some cheap tools just for beating on but have a lot of good ones i don't. I don't really say much when he does stuff like that just glad to have him outside wrenching on his bike rather than plugged into the xbox . 

• Like 1

It wouldn't have been a big deal if he'd not grabbed one of the 30 dollar ones and got a no name. I buy some cheap tools just for beating on but have a lot of good ones i don't. I don't really say much when he does stuff like that just glad to have him outside wrenching on his bike rather than plugged into the xbox .

Yes my dad has the better tools too. Our garage is divided into two halves, mine is his, motorcycle, the atv, and Kate. His is "dad's car", a 50s pontiac. And he's already complaining how he comes to my side and find a while bunch of his tools :angry: . As aggravated as he gets Im sure he would still rather have me in the garage than inside. what kinda soon would i be of i didn't steal my dad's tools :huh:

• Like 1

I'm all about the cheap when it comes to stuff like this and spend my money on Mo' betta parts :lol: I can buy 8 chinese 5/8 wrenches and grind em' down and lose 7 of them on the trail and i'm still ok . :thumbsup:

I may buy it but would mainly be so I could carry it on trails. For now ill try the grinder But I always pack tools in the car cuz I mainly am going to try to ride track this year but ya never know.

here it is and it has plenty of room I used a sander.

1398994156387.jpg

1398994169279.jpg

• Like 1