Sign in to follow this  

What kind of TOP SPEED have you gotten your DRZ up to?

I'm just curious...My DRZ SM (Originally an "S ") is from 2003 and was modded in 2007 with what was at the time more or less the biggest engine mod

which was referred to as the "470 stroker" which used the Hot Rods 5mm offset crank with a 5mm cylinder spacer. Big bore piston...Mine also has

Hot Rod Stage 1 cams, 41mm FCR, Yosh Ti exhaust, Ron Hamp (Ferrea I think) coated valves. But I know there's been a lot of different stuff come

out since then so I'm curious what kind of top speed you guys with modded DRZs are seeing...

I've seen 106Mph using a Trailtech Vapor and Etrex GPS (Not the highly inaccurate OEM speedo)...I might have been able to get it higher but

usually backed off when I got to that...I have 15/41 sprockets...Any of you guys get much higher (With an accurate speedo)?

I'm curious to see if the newer modded engines are capable of any higher speeds...

Edited by DaveI

I've gotten my 470 a little faster than yours but that was with 15/38 sprocket combo

I dont think i would want to go much faster than 100 anyway. The difference in speed of these bikes seems to be how long it takes you to get to speed and not how fast you can get...

102mphDRZ_zps80e5cc2b.jpg107mphDRZ_zpsca373926.jpg

Edited by jawknee21
  • Like 3

102mphDRZ_zps80e5cc2b.jpg107mphDRZ_zpsca373926.jpg

107Mph on the OEM speedo is about 101Mph actual...

Edited by DaveI

:thumbsup: arent most of them different? it could change due to tire size and inflation and all that too couldnt it? 

Yep..Absolutely...To get an accurate (pretty accurate speedo)...You need to measure the rolling distance for the wheel and then use the formula that Trailtech has to input the setup number...Then to really get it really accurate you can tweak it comparing it to a GPS (Or if ya have a buddy who's a cop get him to radar you)...You could do it with the OEM speedo if someone put a radar gun on you and told you the top speed and you compared that to what you read on the OEM then you would know your correction factor but even then it varies by the faster you go...

• Like 1

107Mph on the OEM speedo is about 101Mph actual...

Or 98 lol. My stock 2012 did 102 then after jetting 3x3 and replacing with Trail tech I can only barely get into the 90's. Trip tech is confirmed accurate on GPS. Considering my stock Speedo crapped out at 1260 miles id say it was really inaccurate. My gearing is also part of the reason for my low top end but the point is the OEM Speedo is a clunker.

I'm just curious...My DRZ SM (Originally an "S ") is from 2003 and was modded in 2007 with what was at the time more or less the biggest engine mod

which was referred to as the "470 stroker" which used the Hot Rods 5mm offset crank with a 5mm cylinder spacer. Big bore piston...Mine also has

Hot Rod Stage 1 cams, 41mm FCR, Yosh Ti exhaust, Ron Hamp (Ferrea I think) coated valves. But I know there's been a lot of different stuff come

out since then so I'm curious what kind of top speed you guys with modded DRZs are seeing...

I've seen 106Mph using a Trailtech Vapor and Etrex GPS (Not the highly inaccurate OEM speedo)...I might have been able to get it higher but

usually backed off when I got to that...I have 15/41 sprockets...Any of you guys get much higher (With an accurate speedo)?

I'm curious to see if the newer modded engines are capable of any higher speeds...

I had my 470 Stroker up to 160 KMH ( indicated ) on a Gravel road .

Hot Rod Stage 1 cams ?? This is the first time I have heard ( read ) of these .

I had my 470 Stroker up to 160 KMH ( indicated ) on a Gravel road .

Hot Rod Stage 1 cams ?? This is the first time I have heard ( read ) of these .

I'm out of touch with what Hot Rods is calling their stuff now...However

that's what they called their cams back then...Two types...Stage 1 and Stage 2...

Stage 2 was the more agressive but they had already discontinued them

by 2007 (You could only find leftover stock)..I got a deal on the Stage 1 cams new

from a guy on Ebay so that's why I went with those...

I have a completely stick 2009 400sm and the fastest I've seen is 91. But I have the Mrd/ssw to install and JD jets, and the Clarke tank so we will see how far that gets me :)ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398623540.632904.jpg

I'm out of touch with what Hot Rods is calling their stuff now...However

that's what they called their cams back then...Two types...Stage 1 and Stage 2...

Stage 2 was the more agressive but they had already discontinued them

by 2007 (You could only find leftover stock)..I got a deal on the Stage 1 cams new

from a guy on Ebay so that's why I went with those...

hot cams?

I had the stock speedo read 112 with 3x3 and rs4 pipes with stock jetting and gearing. With bb cams 39fcr and 15/38 gearing i got to 106, probably couldve gone faster but who cares, buy a liter bike if you wanna go fast in a straight line

but the point is the OEM Speedo is a clunker.

Hardly.The original speedo on my SM is still going strong after 9 years and over 30k mi.

My stock 398cc motor will do 104-105 indicated with just a FCR and Yosh ti exhaust on stock gearing.

Yeah...Typo...Meant Hot Cams...Anyway there was Stage 1 and 2 Hotcams back then..

I had the stock speedo read 112 with 3x3 and rs4 pipes with stock jetting and gearing. With bb cams 39fcr and 15/38 gearing i got to 106, probably couldve gone faster but who cares, buy a liter bike if you wanna go fast in a straight line

I doubt you got to 112 with a 3x3 and an rs4 (unless you were looking at a OEM speedo and had a 40mph wind to your back)...

The "point" is to see what a DRZ can "pull to" top speed before running out of steam...Why else would you

bother to do H.P. mods? To do wheelies...You don't need any mods to do those..The whole point to doing mods is to increase performance...And increasing your H.P. doesn't improve cornering..Suspension mods can improve that somewhat as well as better tires of course...

but the point is the OEM Speedo is a clunker.

Hardly.The original speedo on my SM is still going strong after 9 years and over 30k mi.

My stock 398cc motor will do 104-105 indicated with just a FCR and Yosh ti exhaust on stock gearing.

That's about 98 to 99 actual...

• Like 1

I doubt you got to 112 with a 3x3 and an rs4 (unless you were looking at a OEM speedo and had a 40mph wind to your back)...

The "point" is to see what a DRZ can "pull to" top speed before running out of steam...Why else would you

bother to do H.P. mods? To do wheelies...You don't need any mods to do those..The whole point to doing mods is to increase performance...And increasing your H.P. doesn't improve cornering..Suspension mods can improve that somewhat as well as better tires of course...

I already said it was a stock speedo.

All i know is that i didnt do all my work to make a top speed bike, and if thats your goal then good luck ;)

Actually unless your breaking up due to the rev limiter in top gear, over gearing or gearing taller makes the bike slower, although it does reduce cruising rpm.

So say 15/43 is stock, top speed should increase with 15/44 or 45. Course there comes a point where gearing lower becomes counter production as to top speed.

• Like 1

[quote name="jawknee21"

I dont think i would want to go much faster than 100 anyway. The difference in speed of these bikes seems to be how long it takes you to get to speed and not how fast you can get...

What ^ he ^ said . I've had my stock S ( just 3x3. , and JD jetting ) at 100. Mph on DOT knobbies and it still had more to go . I just would have needed to use another mile if highway to get to its limit .