What kind of TOP SPEED have you gotten your DRZ up to?

Wide ratio gears would be key for attaining a high top speed number. Bottom line is you could make 100 hp , but wouldn't go faster than the gearing and aerodynamics will allow .

While I agree that the aerodynamics is a large part of what hinders faster top speeds...It's also true that more horsepower DOES enable you to push through aerodynamic drag

to a certain point. However once the wind resistance builds to a certain point then the horsepower required to go faster increases exponentially (or there abouts)...

But what would be interesting is...You know they are converting Dirtbikes into single cylinder road racing machines by shortening the suspension...Putting clipons and fairings

on them...I've seen it done with motocross bikes....Would be interesting if someone did it with a DRZ and also went max mods on the engine and then geared it to like 15/36...

That should shoot it up into at least the 120s...The DRZ has always needed a 6th gear but I don't believe anybody ever accomplished putting a different tranny in it...

Edited by DaveI

I'm just curious...My DRZ SM (Originally an "S ") is from 2003 and was modded in 2007 with what was at the time more or less the biggest engine mod

which was referred to as the "470 stroker" which used the Hot Rods 5mm offset crank with a 5mm cylinder spacer. Big bore piston...Mine also has

Hot Rod Stage 1 cams, 41mm FCR, Yosh Ti exhaust, Ron Hamp (Ferrea I think) coated valves. But I know there's been a lot of different stuff come

out since then so I'm curious what kind of top speed you guys with modded DRZs are seeing...

I've seen 106Mph using a Trailtech Vapor and Etrex GPS (Not the highly inaccurate OEM speedo)...I might have been able to get it higher but

usually backed off when I got to that...I have 15/41 sprockets...Any of you guys get much higher (With an accurate speedo)?

I'm curious to see if the newer modded engines are capable of any higher speeds...

i only hit 100mph :(

Ive GPS'ed my self at 178km.... 110mph.   30km ish Back wind with a slight down slop. Running 15-39 gearing, on 17'' rims.

Did it once do not want to again... full tuck and a lot of high way. 

I've also done 300km on a slightly modified  race ready R1, Felt way safer!  ?

Wide ratio gears would be key for attaining a high top speed number. Bottom line is you could make 100 hp , but wouldn't go faster than the gearing and aerodynamics will allow .

I just dont see your logic that you have to change the gears in your tranny to change your top speed...areo,hp, and your sprockets are the main limitations

Here's the company that makes the kits.

http://www.450gp.com/EN/vehicles.html

Checkout that RMZ 450 kit...That would probably bolt up pretty much to the DRZ...

But then again you could probably do it much cheaper...The SM already has the wheels...

Just need to get the suspension shortened...Get a Race Fairing and adapt the mounting frame to the DRZ

and add some more road race bits (clipons/rearsets)...Really cool idea...And the really cool thing is...You're

already road legal...So you just gotta add lights to the race fairing...And you'd have a 300Lb road legal

sportbike capable of the 120s (or higher maybe)...

High speed around my way on the roads just ain't safe for licence and life preservation.... on public roads I don't  endorse high speed ,period...There is just too many variables...

Of course, A different case on the track....

Though these bikes are not really designed for warp factor speeds, so you be careful guys...

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 1

High speed around my way on the roads just ain't safe for licence and life preservation.... on public roads I don't  endorse high speed ,period...There is just too many variables...

Of course, A different case on the track....

Though these bikes are not really designed for warp factor speeds, so you be careful guys...

My car mechanic hit a deer on his DRZ going 60mph, not exactly pushing the bike but yeah lots of unknown variables...  I guess a kangaroo would be similiar.

Edited by nickmarz
  • Like 1

I just dont see your logic that you have to change the gears in your tranny to change your top speed...areo,hp, and your sprockets are the main limitations

Well, let's just say you had lost 5th gear ( our top gear ) and you only had 4 . Would you be able to attain as high a top speed ? Final drive ratio is your limiting factor . Today's modern transmissions in automobiles all have over drives to be able to squeeze more gas Milage out of the engines . The final ratio exceeds 1:1

Im not sure what the final drive ratios are in a DRZ transmission , but I know I have seen a post about the wide ratio gear set .

How many gears you have and how they are spaced out all help attribute to top speed . Why else would there be wide ratio gear sets be available ?

There is a you tube video with a comparison between the the stock gears and the wide ratio . Check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk mobile app

Edited by Masshole DRZ

Well, let's just say you had lost 5th gear ( our top gear ) and you only had 4 . Would you be able to attain as high a top speed ? Final drive ratio is your limiting factor . Today's modern transmissions in automobiles all have over drives to be able to squeeze more gas Milage out of the engines . The final ratio exceeds 1:1

Im not sure what the final drive ratios are in a DRZ transmission , but I know I have seen a post about the wide ratio gear set .

How many gears you have and how they are spaced out all help attribute to top speed . Why else would there be wide ratio gear sets be available ?

There is a you tube video with a comparison between the the stock gears and the wide ratio . Check it out.

Yea but if you changed your sprocket youd make up for that

Not exactly . People who run Bonneville salt flats don't just change sprockets and add a cowl .

Watch the videos .

Edited by Masshole DRZ

I went from 15/44 stock,  to 16/44 thinking it would get me more top speed,  i actually lost top speed in 5th gear with the taller front sprocket,  the engine did not have enough power to pull it,  and it would not rev out,   would climb up slowly,  went back to 15/44 and it rev's out much quicker and is faster now. 

With the 16 front 4th gear is a complete monster tho,  lol,  crazy good power from 35 to 65+ mph in 4th gear  :D   that was the only good thing about the 16 front imo,  in the dirt it sucked. 

• Like 1

Not exactly . People who run Bonneville salt flats don't just change sprockets and add a cowl .

Watch the videos .

well yeah if youre building a top speed Bonneville racer you would have to do everything you can to maximize gains, but thats a whole different thing, in my mind 8000 rpm at 100 mph is still 8000rpm at 100 mph no matter where the gearing is, tranny or sprockets

I went from 15/44 stock,  to 16/44 thinking it would get me more top speed,  i actually lost top speed in 5th gear with the taller front sprocket,  the engine did not have enough power to pull it,  and it would not rev out,   would climb up slowly,  went back to 15/44 and it rev's out much quicker and is faster now. 

With the 16 front 4th gear is a complete monster tho,  lol,  crazy good power from 35 to 65+ mph in 4th gear  :D   that was the only good thing about the 16 front imo,  in the dirt it sucked. 

IMO...If you can't pull peak power in 5th gear your too tall in the gearing, the more power the engine produces, the taller the gearing it can pull....

Stock gearing is set up by Suzuki too achieve peak power on a stock engine for most situations

• Like 2

IMO...If you can't pull peak power in 5th gear your too tall in the gearing, the more power the engine produces, the taller the gearing it can pull....

Stock gearing is set up by Suzuki too achieve peak power on a stock engine for most situations

I agree,  twas too tall of a gearing for the engine to pull.

That's how I figured it . Correct me if I'm wrong , but if a different gearbox / transmission were used with the same motor. One which had let's say a ( sixth gear ). ; ) Or a 5 speed with an overdriven top gear ( providing the motor could tolerate or fit such a gear set ). a higher top speed could be reached . Using the stock sprocket sizes . ?