Sign in to follow this  

What kind of TOP SPEED have you gotten your DRZ up to?

Im gonna put a 16 and a 32 sprocket on and then someone try to tell me im not going 110. Haha

Bubba...If you got enough H.P. to pull that combo...You're gonna be flying...

Actually unless your breaking up due to the rev limiter in top gear, over gearing or gearing taller makes the bike slower, although it does reduce cruising rpm.

So say 15/43 is stock, top speed should increase with 15/44 or 45. Course there comes a point where gearing lower becomes counter production as to top speed.

Gearing lower ( bigger rear sprocket) will get you out of the hole quicker , but reduce your top speed . Gearing higher (smaller rear sprocket) will reduce your rpm at a given speed but not increase the top speed . Top speed will be limited by the final drive ratio . Affected by the transmission gearing. . The H/P and TQ will controll how quickly you get there. .

Gearing lower ( bigger rear sprocket) will get you out of the hole quicker , but reduce your top speed . Gearing higher (smaller rear sprocket) will reduce your rpm at a given speed but not increase the top speed . Top speed will be limited by the final drive ratio . Affected by the transmission gearing. . The H/P and TQ will controll how quickly you get there. .

Not saying that youre wrong, but could you explain that more. That doesn't make sense to me

That is true, but what your not considering, is stock gearing is over geared as is, you cant make to the rev limiter I top gear , unless ofcourse your running down a hugeincline. 1 or two teeth you have to play with to gain top speed, including it will pull harder to get there. Ofcourse the negative effect is normal cruising rpm will be higher.

Edited by Spud786

That is true, but what your not considering, is stock gearing is over geared as is, you cant make to the rev limiter I top gear , unless ofcourse your running down a hugeincline. 1 or two teeth you have to play with to gain top speed, including it will pull harder to get there. Ofcourse the negative effect is normal cruising rpm will be higher.

Yes , I wasn't considering that . My stock S wheels had a 44t, I've gone over 100 by the stock speedo but that's where I called it quits . I've done that on both the trail wings and ED 03/04 DOT knobbies . On my SM wheels I've got a 42 t . If I remember correctly the stock speedo was showin 97 or 98 at 9050 rpm. With a 150/60 rear and 120/70 front . I could haves pushed it a little further . It was singing a sweet note . ; )

15 t front for both set ups .

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk mobile app

Edited by Masshole DRZ

C'mon there must be some deep pockets, big H.P. guys out there...

102,  FCR MX-39, HC, MRD pipe,  stock gearing,  think it had a bit more to give,  but i backed down cause me front shinko is only rated at 72mph...

Ron...Yeah 102 on a Stinko...I agree with your assessment...

• Like 1

102, FCR MX-39, HC, MRD pipe, stock gearing, think it had a bit more to give, but i backed down cause me front shinko is only rated at 72mph...

Is that with the stock speedo ? What sprockets ?

180kph - still had a little more in it but I was running out of track.

111.84 MPH...Was that using an accurate speedo? If so...impressive...

That was through a speed trap at the Phillip Island GP circuit. Once you hit 160kph (100mph) the lack of aerodynamic starts to really slow you down.

Best I ever got was 112 mph on my old DRZ with my Vapor speedo. 39 FCR, hot cams, 5mm stroker crank, 15/39 gearing and it was bouncing the limiter at that speed.

Smokin'!!...I've never had a 39 on mine...Looks like it should pull it like yours...

That was through a speed trap at the Phillip Island GP circuit. Once you hit 160kph (100mph) the lack of aerodynamic starts to really slow you down.

For sure...And then depending on what front tire you're using...When I had a low profile Michelin Pilot Power it was rock steady at high speed...With my current tires (Avon I think) the profile is taller

and the front wheel wants to wobble at high speed...Gotta hang my ass off the rear fender and straight arm it above 100mph now...

Edited by DaveI

I was getting to 8300rpm, it was still pulling but turn 1 was coming. ACT wide range gears and 14/39 or 41, I can't quite remember but in theory it was good for 210-220kph on gearing commander.

Is that with the stock speedo ? What sprockets ?

Stock speedo,  stock 15/44 gearing, 18/21 wheels,  shinko 244's front and rear.

Wide ratio gears would be key for attaining a high top speed number. Bottom line is you could make 100 hp , but wouldn't go faster than the gearing and aerodynamics will allow .

Wide ratio gears would be key for attaining a high top speed number. Bottom line is you could make 100 hp , but wouldn't go faster than the gearing and aerodynamics will allow .