Sign in to follow this  

02 yz250 won't start it randomly stalled yesterday.

This bike usually starts up first kick every time but yesterday while riding I hit about 4th gear & it stalled & will not start now. I've recently took the carb off & cleaned it & that was a bitch because I've never took one off on a bike like this & I pulled the spark plug off today & it was pretty gross so I bought a new one & it still won't turn over for nothing. Somebody please help me figure this problem out it would be well appreciated. Thank you!

I just put new gas in & it was mixed at 50:1 ratio filled it up & the plug looked really worn maybe fried not to sure what a fried one looks like & it may have been a little wet.

I know the wire has spark it shocked the shit out of me. But I didn't see any spark come off the plug when I kicked it while it was hooked to the wire & hanging out.

I know the wire has spark it shocked the shit out of me. But I didn't see any spark come off the plug when I kicked it while it was hooked to the wire & hanging out.

Get the spark plug grounded and make sure you get a spark out of it. You could have a short at the boot. If you do get spark move on to squirt gas right into the cylinder and see if it fires.

Sounds like a a new piston kit is needed. Check compression that should tell you.

This is what it sounds like to me too. Do a compression check, and give us those details.

He said he was unable to get spark at the plug. How does compression prevent spark? Unless the spark is so weak it is getting blown out. More than likely even if the rings were shot it would still fire.

He said he got shocked so there should be a spark. Plus he didn't ground out his spark plug when doing the test. He "left it hanging". Depending on the condition of the rings, piston and cylinder really. Low compression and it wont start. He needs to check that just to be sure.

I'm with the guys on compression. My bike just did this to me and our had lost compression. Get it checked out, make sure pressure is well above 100 psi with the throttle wide open.

It will have some compression, just not enough to start. You'll have to find a compression tester (it screws into the spark plug hole) or see if your local bike shop will test it for you. Some will do it for free especially if you order parts through them and also since it's so easy to do.

How do I do a compression test? & when I pulled the plug out & kicked it, it sounded like it had compression.

If your bike was starting first kick and running perfect than had a sudden stall it will most likely be a fuel or spark issue. Worn pistons and rings usually are accompanied by other performance issues.

What I would do first is take the plug out ground it and look for spark. If you have spark squirt a small amount of fuel into the cylinder put the plug in and see if she fires. If it does you have a fuel block some where.

• Like 1

I'm with the guys on compression. My bike just did this to me and our had lost compression. Get it checked out, make sure pressure is well above 100 psi with the throttle wide open.

Should be up over 200psi

Sure, on a new rebuild. Depending on where he's at, however, the bike would start if he's well over 100. Pretty sure he's not dealing with a new rebuild. Let's let him check it out and post the results before we confuse him with too many numbers.

Sure, on a new rebuild. Depending on where he's at, however, the bike would start if he's well over 100. Pretty sure he's not dealing with a new rebuild. Let's let him check it out and post the results before we confuse him with too many numbers.

Exactly! He needs to get back to us with a few more details before we can help him anymore.