Sign in to follow this  

Wp and kyb shaft and clevis question

Hi , does anyone know how different the kyb 18mm rod end is compared to a linkage type wp? I.e. will a Wp clevis screw into a kyb rod and if so will the adjuster push on the inner , pics of both rod ends side by side would be great

Thanks

Marcus

Pete Payne of hdr came through with the sizes if anyone is interested

Showa is 1.5 thread pitch

KYB is 1.25

WP is 1.0

I am wondering why you would want to use a KYB shaft? I have recently bent my shaft where it meets the clevis very slightly on my WP shock, causing the threads to leak, and wonder if you are experiencing the same issue?

I am using a kyb shock and need a clevis to fit to the wp linkage , how did you bend the shaft ? What year ?

Ah interesting.. Not sure how it bent, could have been from casing a jump? I've heard that a couple others had the same issue. 2013 KTM 250sx

Weird as it's the same as the 2011 onwards and super thick , the kyb and showa used 16mm in the past as not heard of problems , you sure it's bent and not just leaking , no oil should be in that part so even a bent rod should not leak

Can't see a wp shaft bending due to normal use, Marcus send me both ur shocks down, il sort ur wp shock, il sling the kyb in the bin, save ur time. Lol

Hay Karl I asked you about stacks on kyb and you replied you haven't done that many;-) , yet you have done 100s of wps , that say anything ?:-)

Not entirely sure how it happened. Blew shock fluid all over linkage... Replaced seal head, only to find out it still leaks. And it is positively leaking from where clevis and shaft connect. After researching I found that a couple people have had them bend causing the leak. I am still hoping it might be something like a busted o-ring, but I have a bad feeling the shaft will turn out to be bent. The others it happened to said it was only thrown off about .010", so its almost impossible to tell with the naked eye.

The shaft is sealed at the needle so even a bent shaft should not leak , I suspect some are not perfect but that's not the reason they leak

Im a little confused as to what you mean by that. We are talking WP shock right? It is in the shop now, but it is sure as sh** leaking from directly under the bump rubber. Is the needle you speak of located in the shock body, or down by the rebound adjuster. When I push down on the shock with no spring installed, I see the fluid pooling up in the cup where the bump rubber sits. I would be relieved to find out it is a simpler fix than I thought so I would be happy to hear any input.

The rod should not have fluid inside it , the rod has a needle inside that's sealed with a o ring , that o ring should seal even with a bent rod (unless it's like a banana , I guess a bent rod may load the needle (sideload) enough to stop the o ring sealing , the needle isn't a tight fit however so a very small bend in the rod would not cause a big side load imo

Hmm, interesting. The needle is located by the rebound adjuster though? If there weren't fluid in the shaft, how does the rebound adjustment needle do anything? Sorry if I am coming off as rude, and that I jacked your thread, this shock is uncharted territory for me and want to figure it out, I'd hate to pay $200 for a whole new bottom assembly if it is not necessary.

There is absolutely fluid in the shaft in that area. The wp rebound needle seals at the bottom of the shaft on the linkage and pds models.

I'm gonna bet that the shaft is cracked where the threads are at right where it goes into the clevis.

Bad thing about is you can't buy just the shaft from wp it comes with the clevis.

I would contact mx-tech he probably has a spare shock shaft for that shock.

I assumed it was sealed further up above the clevis , sorry for the confusion