Sign in to follow this  

WR to YZ trans...feels slow

I bought a freshly built longrod engine with a yz trans last fall and installed it over the winter. Got out for the first couple times this week and it feels slow compared with my old WR setup. The engine is fresh, and properly jetted. The power valve is working properly.

Anybody had a WR and a YZ? My thought is since the yz ratios are closer, there is less gear to keep pulling. I know I've given up some top end speed, but that isn't really what I'm talking about. Feels like I'm doing nothing but shifting now. Thoughts?

Edited by 97wr250

My YZ felt faster when I installed a WR tranny.

Like you said each gear just pulls longer and I get a lot more traction when shifting instead of just spinning the rear wheel.

I'm sure the close ratio is actually faster when there's optimum traction or a better rider than I.

• Like 2

I figured it was something along those lines, but wow what a difference between the two. I will say for what I ride, gear selection has become less important. With the WR ratios it is easy to tell when you are in the wrong gear, the YZ seems more forgiving.

I figured it was something along those lines, but wow what a difference between the two. I will say for what I ride, gear selection has become less important. With the WR ratios it is easy to tell when you are in the wrong gear, the YZ seems more forgiving.

Exactly!

It's a trade-off.

My WR250R goes 4mph great and 80 mph great but there are times when the gap between gears is too big to upshift and still have enough power.

My 94 YZ250 will hit 63 MPH (gps clocked) in 5th once it gets full traction. In first it idles at 5-6 MPH.

I cruise the trails mostly ~30 MPH in forth and can still roll the throttle on to get in the powerband very quickly.

This is all with the stock size 13/49 sprockets.

• Like 1

I thought about changing my 1993 wr250 long rod engine gears to yz so you think its best to leave it as is

I really am surprised how big the difference is between the two. It makes it feel like a completely different bike.

Pirate734: I really don't have enough seat time to decide which I like better, or why. If you could pick up a spare engine like I did, you could have the best of both worlds.

I thought about changing my 1993 wr250 long rod engine gears to yz so you think its best to leave it as is

I only put the WR tranny in because I was dual sporting my YZ at the time. Now it's back to off-road duty only. I'm still glad it has such a low 1st but the tall 5th doesn't get used very often here in Ohio. 

My other post may have been confusing, when I was talking about my WR250R (4stroke) having gaps between gears. My YZ250(2stroke) with WR tranny only feels that way when shifting through sandy whoops, which is very rare for me.

Thanks guys didn't mean to jump the post but it was winding down thought I'd chime in while you had the WR guys I am going to keep the bikes the same then being I have a yz250 and wr250 for both worlds.