Steep Downhill Braking Curves

When you are on a steep downhill with a sharp curve at the bottom, how do you handle it?  Steep enough that brakes won't hold the bike on the slope.  I was riding at a place facing this situation all day yesterday.  I was going fast enough down and standing up that I felt like I needed to throw a leg out front for counterbalance in the curve,  but I was having a hard time getting a feel for getting seated again and getting on the rear brake.  My braking with the rear was horrible.  I either locked it up or didn't brake enough which caused me to blow a few of the curves. 

Just curious how you guys handle it.  Stay seated?  Go slower?  Don't throw out the leg?  That is the first time in a while I felt awkward on the bike.  Thanks

I generally find I'm better going down steep's than going up.

With that said, I'm sure there are way better rider's here than me BUT what I try to do on steep downhills is get up on your leg's and get your butt back on the seat. If it's steep enough, you might be out on the rear fender. Your trying to get your weight over the back tire.

It's then up to being able to use both your brake's so your not locking up. The front will send you over the bar's and the back can skid your rear end out. Practice going as slow as you can (not skidding the back tire), then work up your speed.

It's also important that your have your control's setup (ie front/rear lever's) so you can use them effectivelyas well if you should be in gear to use engine breaking or not.

Google "steep dirt bike descents" and see if you can find some vid's

Rear brake does almost 0% in this situation. You need to be comfortable with locking up the front and riding this way to maximize this kind of braking maneuver. So riding your front brake just short of constant locking at your last minute of control and then rolling off into power on the corner. I'd probably be sitting 100% of the way through it, ass on the rear fender as needed to keep braking on the front wheel, then sliding up and nuts on the tank, leg out for the turn.

• Like 1

What works for me is to be hard on the brakes until I'm right where I need to initiate the turn then I let off the brakes and let the bike roll through, even get on the gas a bit.  It's not second nature at all, I have to force myself to do this, but generally speaking, I make the turn without issue, usually at a speed faster than I thought possible!  LOL

I'm really proficient on the steep downhill sections as far as position and comfort level. Mountain bike allot. I just have trouble with the foot on the rear brake when I'm doing all the other stuff.

ah ....yet another candidate for a Rekluse set up with left front rear brake lever set up. I'm so curious to try it out. It would feel so correct.