Tacoma Cleats

Alright had this in another forum w/zero reply's so in gonna post it here since the main reason I'm asking is so I can strap down bikes.

So I snapped one of my stock plastic cleats on my truck, was gonna purchase a new one but then I came across these aftermarket heavy duty ones, $30 for a set of 4, or it's $30 for just one stock plastic one...

Definitely thinking about purchasing the heavy duty ones, has anyone used these before? Any opinions/advice will be greatly appreciated!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398606137.288701.jpg

Sure do it. Little weird they're tundra specific. All my and my buddies trucks are beaters so we would just find loops and fill the bed and mount them. IMO, a good idea

Excuse my stupidly here lol so your saying you have used these specific loops and they work good, correct?

I don't think those cleats/rails are strong enough to hold a bike. I installed D-rings in the front like this http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/28533-installed-d-rings-bed-pics.html

I would avoid using ring's attached to the side rails if you can. Using the above method give's more forward down force, hence keeping the bike strapped down better. Then strap down over the back tire to keep the rear end from bouncing.

I don't think those cleats/rails are strong enough to hold a bike. I installed D-rings in the front like this http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/28533-installed-d-rings-bed-pics.html

Awesome idea. idk why i didn't think of d-links, so annoying how they didn't come on the truck. Love the truck otherwise though haha

Thank you!

Edited by Breaky0self

Why not just install loops anywhere and use em? As long as the bike status stable in the bed?

Loops in the rails or just around the truck bed in general? It's a 2011 dbl cab, I don't really want to have to drill into the truck if I don't have to. I don't doubt the rails strength, 2 bikes hooked up to my rails has always been fine(my cousin has had the same truck since 2005 with no cleat issues, but since one of mine snapped and I literally almost lost my new bike when it was brand new, I don't feel comfortable using the plastic cleats anymore. And out of the 2 I think the D-Links are a better choice

I have an 06 tacoma. Literally hauled bikes probably a thousand times in the bed, 1 usually,sometimes 2. i was worried about putting too much pressure on front rail,so i drilled 3/8" holes in each end of rail. Great anchor points. Throw a tiedown on each side to thr subframe. Never had any issues.

The Tacoma and Tundra rails aren't strong enough to suck a bike down. You need to install 'D' rings. If you do a nice job with the right size bolts/nutz/warshers you'll still have a nice truck. Better than snapping off the factory stuff.

• Like 1

Right, sounds like a Tacoma problem. I've never used a Toyota truck, and I'm sorry but plastic cleats? Sounds like one of the reasons why i don't know anyone who has one. To be fair Im 17, so we're all in beater trucks, if we need tie points we just drill into the bed and bolt in some sort of hook. Just seems like a simpler more effective way of tying bikes down

Edited by zotis777

Right, sounds like a Tacoma problem. I've never used a Toyota truck, and I'm sorry but plastic cleats? Sounds like one of the reasons why i don't know anyone who has one. To be fair Im 17, so we're all in beater trucks, if we need tie points we just drill into the bed and bolt in some sort of hook. Just seems like a simpler more effective way of tying bikes down

great trucks, they last forever lol just shitty stock cleats...

HThose are rope rings and I doubt if they are strong enough for motorcycle tie down. 

Better to use these 1 1/2" rings from Home Depot, and they have others:

bdc2a36f-b1d2-4d68-acfc-6cb013a5795d_400

Hard lesson from trailer hauling; each bike gets four straps, that way if any one strap fails there is back up that prevents the bike from tipping over. 

I use chrome plated bolt in eyes from Home Depot on my PU, had to replace the studs with bolts, plus washers, and and fender washers to spread the load.  

At front; center bolted thru the floor, works for one or two bikes. 

On the side walls; each side just in front of the wheel well on the interior structure of the side wall, these have a good pull angle on the bikes when the front wheels are turned into the front corners of the bed.

At the rear corners; these are used to secure the rear of the bikes. I added tie down loops to the seat bolts on each bike for the rear tie downs, available from Pit Posse (designed for front forks.  PitPosse has a lot of other transporting accessories.

Gotta remember , tacomas have a composite bed . How and where you mount D rings will determine the strength. I wouldnt attach with. Just bolts, i would put a plate on other side of bed to keep from pulling bolts through . The load needs to be distributed over a larger area than just 2 3/8" carriage bolts.

Edited by ohiocoalminer

Gotta remember , tacomas have a composite bed . How and where you mount D rings will determine the strength. I wouldnt attach with. Just bolts, i would put a plate on other side of bed to keep from pulling bolts through . The load needs to be distributed over a larger area than just 2 3/8" carriage bolts.

I'm gonna unscrew the bolts connected from the bed to the frame add the D Rings and re-install them!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398710619.832581.jpg