Sign in to follow this  

Pirelli tires require higher pressures?

Hey guys I'm using the MXMS all the time now since they are my favorite tire. This year I've had 2 pinch flats. One of which caused me to crash hard on a jump. The rear I pinch flatted in the sand at 11 psi. I'm now running 13 in the rear and the tire still feels kinda soft to the touch. The front I run 14 pounds cuz the sidewalls are so soft. Well I pinched my front tube as well and it caused me to lose traction on the face of a jump since I was partially leaned over. What kind of pressures are you Pirelli users running? At 14 and 13 psi they are pretty pliable where a Dunlop would feel hard as a rock. Is it weird to run higher than 14 ish?

I'm running 12 but that's with tubliss

Some of my riding buddies are running 11-13 with tubes though?

Mainly in soft loam

Are you using standard thin mil. tubes ? I've never had a pinch flat and ride mostly trails, and run 13lbs. front and rear, but also run extreme heavy duty tubes and loads of corn starch or powder when i mount them.  Maybe run a heavy tube i know you guys wanna save weight but i'd get tired of swapping tubes to save a lb. Not saying run a tractor tube like i do but just a couple mil. thicker wall.   :ride:

They were the thin stock Michelin tubes and I replaced them with Kenda tough tubes. Hopefully they will hold up better cuz I don't want to run higher pressures if possible. The Kenda ones are definitely thicker.

• Like 1

I have a new XCMS front and cannot keep air in it. Heavy duty Bridgestone tubes,  The tire works incredibly well,,,,,,,,when it has air in it.  13lbs on my last ride. :rant: 

If you use 14 psi in the front it will still feel fairly soft. I use the XCMS on my woods bike. If you put 12 in it and look down while you're riding, it actually appears halfway flat. They have awesome grip though.

I will only run STI brand tubes from now on . I've had so much bad luck with crappy tubes lately . When new i would blow them up a little like 5-10 lbs. just to see how they inflate and one sides got a balloon on it and the other sides all skinny  :foul:  I bought the STI tubes from motosport and perfect thickness all the way around the tube. Even some of the more expensive tubes aren't as good in my opinion.