Sign in to follow this  

A lighter KTM 690r

Just wondering if anyone here has managed to get their 690 under 300lbs "dry"? This bike interests me for its power and ease of maintenance. Probaly will be my next ride. can they shed weight easily?

You mean get a 500 exc instead?

Well yes. If you want a dual sport under 300 lbs then the 690 is the wrong bike for you IMO.

Well yes. If you want a dual sport under 300 lbs then the 690 is the wrong bike for you IMO.

I figuire the 690r comes in at about 305 lbs "dry" correct? Should be able to get it down to 298-300lbs? I like the 690r over the 500 because of its more "relaxed" maintenance intervals.

Funny to see this as on Sunday last, I drained all the gas from the bike so I could clean the fuel filter.

I also pulled out the oil filter and replaced them after draining the oil.

At that point I decided that weighing the bike would be cool.

Very big set of fishing scales from the Tugboat skipper next door, 2 lifting slings, an obliging roof truss and the help of a bike stand later...

She weighs in at. 284.2 pounds!

You gotta be happy with that!!!!

Btw, mine is a 2010 model so it started life as 138 kgs dry (304. 23 lbs).

Edited by guymcfly

Funny to see this as on Sunday last, I drained all the gas from the bike so I could clean the fuel filter.

I also pulled out the oil filter and replaced them after draining the oil.

At that point I decided that weighing the bike would be cool.

Very big set of fishing scales from the Tugboat skipper next door, 2 lifting slings, an obliging roof truss and the help of a bike stand later...

She weighs in at. 284.2 pounds!

You gotta be happy with that!!!!

I should have put "making a ktm 690 more trail specific" is the thread with all the stuff you'd want to read up on.

I just can't imagine how you could tell the difference between 5 or 10 pounds on a 300 pound bike... but to each his own. And I'm not buying the 284. I think you need to calibrate those scales.

I just can't imagine how you could tell the difference between 5 or 10 pounds on a 300 pound bike... but to each his own. And I'm not buying the 284. I think you need to calibrate those scales.

A 5 lb loss. You might not feel the difference. But 10 lbs is noticable. I have a xrl650 that i put on a serious pig diet. It was 324lbs "dry" stock and when i was done i got it down to 292 lbs, a 32 lb weight loss. Ditching the stock battery and all its hardware which was located on the side of the bike and going with a tiny ballistic gel battery under the seat shaves about 9 lbs and that loss was noticable the first time i took it for a ride. I took off everything that wasnt needed, and replaced what was left with lighter aftermarket parts.

also took off the signal lights, mirrors, back taillight assembly, horn, rear foot pegs and brackets, rear fender sub frame, changed tanks, replaced headlight assembly and speedo hardware with a trailtech and ufo head light. Ditched the smog equipment, went with a rear aluminum sprocket. Ditched the tools out of the fender bag, and some other things i am probally forgetting.

Finding scales that are accurate for weighing a bike i found is not an easy task. I orginally weighed it at the town regional land fill and was told the scale was accurate to with in a pound....wrong. It showed 284lbs dry. After a debate on the xr forum i decided to do a another weighing. I finally found a scale that was 6' x 6' designed for weighing small metals. I paid the guy $20 to "make sure" the scale was accurate. I brought my own weights to verify accuracy. Then i brought my bike back, checked again for scale accuracy, and then pulled my bike up to be weighed. This time the weight was accurate..292 lbs dry. 32 lbs off the xrl650, changing the gearing from 15/45 to 14/48 and fine tuning the carb woke it up big time. I now lust after a ktm 690r. I might want to lighten it up just a bit... :thumbsup: 

The dry weight of the 2010 bike is only 304 lbs.

So dropping just on 20 lbs is no big deal. As for calibration, and not buying the 284lbs, that just says that you don't like being proven wrong, which is kind of like all of us so don't get offended.

Sorry buddy, the scales were good. He'd had them checked for the season only 3 weeks back.

Edited by guymcfly

A few mods I have done...

Titanium exhaust

Anti gravity battery

Replace stock fan with a much lighter one

Tubliss front and back

Ditch passenger pegs and brackets

Cut down rear fender

Ditch the chain guard

Ditch the mirrors for a single light weight plastic fold up version

Mod air box

Mod the heat shields on the exhaust

Rear sprocket

A few others I can't remember offhand.

But have a think, if you save about 5-6 lbs on the exhaust, maybe 3-4 on the battery, 2.2 per wheel going to a tubliss , well there's an easy 12 lbs or a touch more. The stock fan is very heavy and the replacement was a about 2-3 lbs lighter. If u collect all the crap u take off, and hold all in a shopping bag, it's amazing how much it weighs.

To give another example, a mate has a 2010 in road trim. It's pretty stock (tires of course are different). Ride his, and then ride mine, and it's a very noticeable difference in weight and off-road ability by that.

I'm no single track rider of note, I rode Baja type events over here in Oz (Australian safari and such) and many enduros but I found that by learning to use the back wheel and power of the bike to turn it more than my exc 525, I can single track it pretty well.

Yeah, it feels big bore...or extra BIG bore, and no way would I go compete a whole season on the bike, but it's not made for that. But the odd social style enduro (what we have here is termed an 'adventure rally') that still uses the ISDE course but is non competitive? Hell yeah.

Edited by guymcfly
  • Like 1

The dry weight of the 2010 bike is only 304 lbs.

So dropping just on 20 lbs is no big deal. As for calibration, and not buying the 284lbs, that just says that you don't like being proven wrong, which is kind of like all of us so don't get offended.

Sorry buddy, the scales were good. He'd had them checked for the season only 3 weeks back.

You didn't say you did anything to lower the weight until now. All you said was you drained the gas, oil and removed the filter. If you did work on the bike to make it lighter, I can see that. I failed mind reading 101... lol. No worries  :cheers:

Edited by buddoggin

So how reliable is the 2010 690r?  What are guys typically getting before thr motor needs to be opened up? I heard they are good for 70,000km( 42,000 miles).

Thanks

You didn't say you did anything to lower the weight until now. All you said was you drained the gas, oil and removed the filter. If you did work on the bike to make it lighter, I can see that. I failed mind reading 101... lol. No worries :cheers:

Hey no problem, it was my bad as you pointed out.

And I sure wasn't trying to get personal on the crack about being proven wrong. It wasn't a good thing to have written in retrospect and I apologise unreservedly.

I should also say that the ktm in Oz is Sans the smog canister you guys have to deal with...just a little less weight and a touch less hassle to remove.

Edited by guymcfly

Seems kind of trivial. Here's a question have you spent much time on a 690? A well engineered bike will hide it's weight effectively meaning less effort to get the job done whatever style of riding that may be.

Seems kind of trivial. Here's a question have you spent much time on a 690? A well engineered bike will hide it's weight effectively meaning less effort to get the job done whatever style of riding that may be.

Who is your question aimed at?

From my pov, I've spent a lot of time on the 690r. I also use the bike primarily as a big bore dirt bike. The only hardtop is a few miles, or k's to and from the dirt, about 4 miles from my place. For that reason I run knobbies only on the bike.

I take the bike thru exactly the same stuff I used to ride on my other ktm's, having run a 250, 450 and 525 exc's and a 300 2 stroke before this. It ranges from tight single track with plenty of log crossings and rock sections, desert track with deep whoops washouts and rock gardens,and gnarly, rocky, loose hill climbs and the usual fast fire trail .

I do consider that a rider has to 'learn' to ride whatever bike they have...and yeah, a gun rider with learn very quickly granted. But what I mean here is that every model has its own intricacies and to come to grips with them is too begin to ride it successfully.

My main 'learn' on the 690r?

1. Deeps whoops had the back end swapping badly on the first ride...and the back end pushed into corners a bit...sorted by getting the suspenders happening. Plus good tires helped a lot.

2. Back end is a little heavy on steep off camber hill climbs. It tends too slide out on the gas...pretty sorted after I learned just when it would let go, but getting up on the pegs quickly and a good dose of clutch/throttle control is needed.

3. The bike is a back wheel steerer, but then again, all my desert bikes have been the same the way they were set up. This one a little more so. Occasionally the gas and clutch need a little extra feathering. You do feel the full tank of fuel under the seat at the start of the ride tho'.

sorry question was aimed at the original poster

Have not spent any time on a 690r. But the bike does interest  me for its  "ease of maintenance" compared to say an exc model. It would be used for primarily a woods bike, fire roads, rock gardens, a little bit of pavement ect. just like my "lightened" xrl650 is being used for. The 690r might hide its weight well, but  305 lbs dry is still a bit on the heavy side for me. It appears it would not be too difficult to trim 15-20lbs off it though. I have a blast on my pig. I can imagine the ktm with its extra 20hp or so, would really add a new level of excitement.

Have not spent any time on a 690r. But the bike does interest  me for its  "ease of maintenance" compared to say an exc model. It would be used for primarily a woods bike, fire roads, rock gardens, a little bit of pavement ect. just like my "lightened" xrl650 is being used for. The 690r might hide its weight well, but  305 lbs dry is still a bit on the heavy side for me. It appears it would not be too difficult to trim 15-20lbs off it though. I have a blast on my pig. I can imagine the ktm with its extra 20hp or so, would really add a new level of excitement.

If yr doing yr riding on a 650, even a lightened version, you'll enjoy the 690. I once read that the initial feeling of the 690 is not unlike an Xr650, tho much better. Almost as good as a factory prepped 650 tho not quite, straight out of the crate. But then again, after a little tweaking, the 690 will be better.

If you do some research you'll see the initial weight is quite similar I think (about 158 kg wet if I remember for the 650 stock).

Most Any bike can shed a bit of weight, and the 690 holds it's weight low. I don't find any difference from riding my 450 exc after a few minutes on the big bike.

If yr doing yr riding on a 650, even a lightened version, you'll enjoy the 690. I once read that the initial feeling of the 690 is not unlike an Xr650, tho much better. Almost as good as a factory prepped 650 tho not quite, straight out of the crate. But then again, after a little tweaking, the 690 will be better.

If you do some research you'll see the initial weight is quite similar I think (about 158 kg wet if I remember for the 650 stock).

Most Any bike can shed a bit of weight, and the 690 holds it's weight low. I don't find any difference from riding my 450 exc after a few minutes on the big bike.

Just to clarify about my ride. I am getting the impression you think i have the xr650 "R"? I have the xr650 "L". air cooled mill making about 42hp at the crank stock. It has a xr's only header and can, jetted, geared and 32 lbs lighter than stock. Its about 15 lbs heavier than the dirt only xr600r. I have put on about 17,000 km on it. Its showing 23,000 km on it in total. Im the second owner. I flog the absolute crap out of it whenever i am off road, which is often. Take it everywhere.Other than changing the oil every 3-4000km, a few spark plugs, looking after the air filter, brake pads,ect ect, The engine has not even had a valve adjustment since i took ownership. its tough as nails. Im shocked it has not blown up. Ive read that the 690r is this reliable and that it basically my bike on steroids. Can they go 60-70,000km( 36-42,000 miles) on the stock rings, bearings ect?

Thanks