DRZ "Off Road" Lighting

I have seen a lot of people complaining about their stock headlights. I figured that since I have one of the more radical headlight set-ups, I should probably put it out there with more than some pictures.

I ride to work a lot in the wee hours of the morning on winding country back roads prone to deer jumping out of no where. A lot of times I won't see a car for 20 minutes. And well, stock was not cutting it.

KTM has a decent, light weight unit that is dot approved. So that went on. I then bought two Rigid Industries Dually Spots and two SR-M2 with the driving beam. I wired them up to the high beam circuit. The best mounting spot was the turn signal mounts. I bought some amber led strips and stuck them around the hand guards.

The output of these 4 units is incredible. The driving lights are great for illuminating tight corners even under extreme lean angles. The spots cover such a long distance that it is impossible to over run them with the DRZ. No one unit covered my needs so I had to mix and match.

I also recommend getting the amber covers if there is a likely hood of fog.

Get ready to pony up some cash for the set up, around $400. Read up on their reputation and warranty. They will long outlive my DRZ and will be on my next motorcycle.

If you are worried about the draw on the battery, don't. Even with the 14 high power leds, it requires around 60 watts. With a led tail light, this is nothing for the 5,500 some lumens of sheer light.

If I remember, I will take a night picture tonight and put it here.

1398609856953.jpg

• Like 3

I'm running advmonster led lights inside of a number plate (tnt eBay knock off) and with both on full blast(I have a wireless dimmer for the flood but not for the spot) im pushing 3600 lumen flood and 1500 lumen spot!!! Turns night into day! The flood, wireless dimmer, and spot cost a total of 180 but are durable as hell and worth the money

1398659807396.jpg

1398659822992.jpg

craigo and decil moto have the most sickest off road lighting setups ive seen by far

• Like 1

craigo and decil moto have the most sickest off road lighting setups ive seen by far

You should check out vagrantidol's ride......you can see Nick riding at night from the space station.. :smirk:

• Like 1

You should check out vagrantidol's ride......you can see Nick riding at night from the space station.. :smirk:

You should post up a pic of your set up as well...   :usa: M8. 

• Like 1

You should post up a pic of your set up as well...   :usa: M8. 

I would, but it's sort of embarrassing compared to vagrant's..... :(

I would, but it's sort of embarrassing compared to vagrant's..... :(

I disagree M8,  your set up is the BUISNESS as the chaps say on the other side of the pond.

• Like 3

I have some crappy aftermarket lights that have two HR16 bulbs that suck about 70 watts! I got a stock S model housing and am planning on adding an HID Hi/Lo set up. That cuts my watts down by half and gives great lighting, but it tends to scatter, so it may piss off oncoming traffic...Also like the Rigid LED spots as an aux light too! I have an E Model, so I've had to add the LED brake light and switches to make it work. Headlight is next.. 

• Like 1

For the price and quality you can't beat advmonster! Plus they are ment for bikes because he is a adv rider himself! I'll try and get my buddy to get his out of the garage tonight and do a light comparison since I have my lights properly aimed now!!!

Edited by Decil Moto

I just stumbled upon this and became red in the face with envy....I searched hi and low for what this basically is, and the best option i had found was the KTm light (like a newer style headlight).

I want this. bad.

http://www.britanniacomposites.com/index.php/productmenu/lynxmenu

Black%20DRZ%202.jpg

Edited by Ivan-the-hunter
  • Like 1

I was thinking of adding Clearwater Darla lights to  my 2016 DRZ400sm. I was wondering if the stock system could handle that. They draw 24 watts each, I will also be running gerbing heated vest at times. I have led brake and rear signal lights and will get led front soon.

• Like 1

the lights wont be a problem, im running 2 of these 35 watters ->

https://www.amazon.com/RUN-D-Cube-Driving-Lights-Degrees/dp/B00T9GNAYE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491597632&sr=8-2&keywords=run+d

and two of these 10 watters ->

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-light-pods/10w-mini-aux-2in-modular-led-off-road-work-light/1699/

+ the stock headlamp is still in there, and i run them all at the same time  ..... heating apparatus can likely be high wattage though and push it past the limit, if it draws more than 3 or so amps i would be leary of using it plus all the lights, you'll wind up dumping your battery and get stranded, or look like a dufous trying to push start it in walmart parking lot heheh ..

• Like 1

lJ1Isjbl.jpg

led primary with hid aux. it's plenty for night time shenanigans. 

chinesium 36w 7" lightbar

trailtech ecliipse 8" hid. 

Edited by albani
  • Like 3