Sign in to follow this  

first dual sport

Hey guys i figured since i got so much help on her whilbe buying my last bike i would get on here and ask for some advice again. im looking at buying my first street legal motorcycle and i want it to be a dual sport. i currently ride a KTM 200exc and i will probably continue to use it for trails and what not because it is a beautiful 2 stroke beast  :ride: i thought about plating that bile but i dont think it would do very well on the road.. so what should i get? i have a buddy that would sell me his yz250f for 1,000 that i could easily make street legal here in missouri, or should i go with something else? again with this bike i will probably have street tires on it 75% of the time because i just think that looks super cool lol. 

i'll use it to commute to work everyday for most of the year about 10 miles

not a lot of highway action, maybe only sustained speeds of 60 for a mile or so 

i am still a beginner but feel like i am progressing well, but please none of the giant 500 bikes 

thanks to all who reply  :thumbsup:

xr 250, 400, 600, 650. Drz 200,400. the yamaha wt and wx's, wr. KDX 200,220. CRF 250x,450x, RMX 250. All great options. I would bike to plate a kdx, they are so cheap and are bullet proof! A yz250f would need upgraded magneto, headlight, tailight etc. I dont know your price range, so if its like $2,500, a new xr650 or drz 400 would be great options. On the cheaper side, a KDX is about a grand, xr 250 is about $1500. hope I helped. When you go to buy your bike just make sure it has a VIN #

thanks for the reply, which 250cc dual sport is gonna have the most mods available? i've hear the Kawasaki has a ton of mods, i really woud feel the need over the span of a year to do a few things here and there to it to up HP a lil and increase overall performance. obviously so when other bikers want to have a little run i will be packing a little more than they expect by just looking at the number on the side of my bike! ha  :ride:    :p

thanks for the reply, which 250cc dual sport is gonna have the most mods available? i've hear the Kawasaki has a ton of mods, i really woud feel the need over the span of a year to do a few things here and there to it to up HP a lil and increase overall performance. obviously so when other bikers want to have a little run i will be packing a little more than they expect by just looking at the number on the side of my bike! ha  :ride:    :p

You will have to use bigger displacement for that I'm afraid  :D

Most of the 250cc 4stroke dual sports will be quite lame after riding exc200, but at least you will be riding a bit safer  :) Roads are really dangerous. On the trails it all depends on you and how you ride, but on the road it also depends on all the drivers around you

If you want a dual sport to be reliable and lasted longer you should probably try to avoid 250f mx bikes, they were not ment for pavement, so you will have to rebuild them every year. DRZ400S could be good enough, it's not too heavy, but it's neither that light, has some power and you can tune it to give more. 

i wish ktm made an afforadable dual sport!! i think i will probably go with the klx250s or the honda, the suzuki and its weight is a real turn off 

ok so i know i didnt get a lot of replys to this but i have a 2009 klx250s for 2800 in my sights and i need to know if its worth me driving a hour and half to check it out and possibly buy!

2800 is a bit steep unless it's in sweet shape. That's a great choice.