USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Service intervals for '82 XR200R in desert conditions?

Not to get into an oil-type religious discussion but I was wondering about service intervals. I'm thinking that maybe service interval is more important than exactly what product is used.

The service manual specifies:

Engine oil 1000 mi

Swing arm bearing 1000 mi

Air filter 500 mi

Chain 300 mi

I ride desert trails with lots of granite dust and would like this bike to last a long time.

Any data or data-based opinions?

I agree totally that interval is more important than product, so long as JASO oil is used.

Here is what I do in similar conditions.

Fresh air filter every ride.  I have been using no-toil products for a while and really like them.  I keep multiple filters so there is always a fresh filter ready to go.  I am a bit OCD about this because of the new modern racing 4t bikes will not tolerate dirt.

I change the oil every 5 hours, so much of the time its after every riding day.  We ask a lot of the oil in these machines, lubricate motor, protect transmission gears, lubricate clutch, and cool the motor.  There is only a quart in there and I like to keep it fresh.  I use rotella t3, its cheap and easy to find. Take the time to clean out the centrifugal filter under the clutch cover once in a while.  You don't have to do it every time, but it can kill the motor if it plugs off.

I ride in mostly dry conditions, so I only service the swing arm and linkage once or twice a season.  This seems to be plenty for my bikes.

I run x-ring chains, the only thing I do it to clean them off and use a light oil to keep them from rusting.  Typically I do this when I wash the bike.

Edited by chadzu

I ride my 1982 XR200R in southern Baja and I change the motor oil as soon as you can tell the shifting gets a little notchy.  I have always run Motul full synthetic 15W50 in it and am about to change to Maxima 15W50 Extra full synthetic in the future. I still run the original engine since 1983 and it runs well so the oil must be good .I used to just run just a K & N filter in it but since moving to Baja I find fine dust goes through it so I bought a Twin air filter that fits the stock air filter cage and I found it fits right over my K & N filter-I oil the Twin air filter also and it runs fine.  Definitely a sealed chain is a must in desert riding.  As the post above all you really need is light lubrication to avoid rust  is needed.  Gummy chain lube in desert riding just attracts sand/grit. Remember to clean the centrifugal oil filter inside the clutch side from time to time even though it is a pain. Service your suspension every year if you ride a lot and if not so much every two-three years. Change fork oil and have the shock serviced or learn to do that yourself. The linkage and swingarm bearings have zerks on that model and I use amsoil  moly synthetic grease and I lube the zerks fairly frequently. Easy to do just a little messy.Don't forget to grease your steering bearings from time to time. That poor little motor if people wait 1000 miles to change that measley quart of oil. Great little bike and good luck with it. Here's a pic of mine.

[sharedmedia=garage:vehicles:1071]

I ride my 1982 XR200R in southern Baja and I change the motor oil as soon as you can tell the shifting gets a little notchy.  I have always run Motul full synthetic 15W50 in it and am about to change to Maxima 15W50 Extra full synthetic in the future. I still run the original engine since 1983 and it runs well so the oil must be good .I used to just run just a K & N filter in it but since moving to Baja I find fine dust goes through it so I bought a Twin air filter that fits the stock air filter cage and I found it fits right over my K & N filter-I oil the Twin air filter also and it runs fine.  Definitely a sealed chain is a must in desert riding.  As the post above all you really need is light lubrication to avoid rust  is needed.  Gummy chain lube in desert riding just attracts sand/grit. Remember to clean the centrifugal oil filter inside the clutch side from time to time even though it is a pain. Service your suspension every year if you ride a lot and if not so much every two-three years. Change fork oil and have the shock serviced or learn to do that yourself. The linkage and swingarm bearings have zerks on that model and I use amsoil  moly synthetic grease and I lube the zerks fairly frequently. Easy to do just a little messy.Don't forget to grease your steering bearings from time to time. That poor little motor if people wait 1000 miles to change that measley quart of oil. Great little bike and good luck with it. Here's a pic of mine.

Thanks for all the tips

I probably looked at the wrong Motul 15W50 but it had a comment about not being JASO and thus would make the clutch slip

Maxima (329128) Extra4 15W-50 Synthetic 4T Motorcycle looks good. I will probably run it for 30 hrs then send a sample in to Blackstone Labs and see how it is doing.

Great reminder on the centrifugal oil filter. I have to assume that it has not been done recently and service it. Will I need a new side cover gasket?

I will be getting a Twin Air right away

Not sure what the chain is but when it wears out I will be sure the new one is o-ring

I am going to install Race Tech emulators on the forks so will change the oil to ATF and check the seals. Any preference on seals?

On closer inspection I see a swingarm zerk and three lower linkage zerks.

I will probably get the rear shock rebuilt and upgraded next winter. Race Tech or other suggestions?

Great bike and impressive longevity! Thanks

Just to be safe I would get a new side cover gasket and if possible get the gasket that is under the centrifugal oil filter cover. You may not need them but if you do you'll have them. Honda fork seals have always been great but the stock could be getting old. Many people go for SKF seals-high quality. I just had my rear Fox Twin-clicker shock on my XR200R rebuilt by RaceTech with the Gold valve installed. Haven't got to try it yet.  I had RaceTech put emulators on my DR350S Suz forks a few years ago and I have liked them. I am thinking of having them put them on my Simons 38 mm forks in the future. Works Performance shock company used to put updated internals in O.E.M. shocks years ago and I don't know if they still do but the XR200R stock shock is pretty basic.  I have heard new quality shock fluid in the shock makes a big difference but nothing can help if the internals are really worn.