Sign in to follow this  

Need advice on pre purchase of DRZ400S 06'

I had a look at a bike yesterday with 16 000 km's on it and it seemed solid.  I have some questions about checks to do on the bike.  I haven't ridden it yet, just a start up as it wasn't insured.  I'm returning tomorrow once it's insured and taking it for a test driveicon1.png.  Unfortunately it has no service records, so that is a definite concern. 

So far:

- started fine, no smoke at pipe

- no oil or wet spots anywhere on engine

- no scratches on stanctions or seal leaks

- no apparent valve clatter while idling

- the chain tensioner was at 6 out of 7...7 being the longest position...so pretty much done

- the rear cog did not have hooked or worn teeth

- no play in headset up front

- no stiff links in chain

- clean air filtericon1.png

- no missing or loose spokes

Please let me know what else I should check when I go back to ride it.  Thanks! BTW I forgot to check the oil...duh!

Heres a few things I would check,

Def check oil, Youll have to run the bike before you check it so I would test drive it first, Then shut the bike off and wait a minute or two and then check it.

When you get there, See if the bike is cold. Its always best to see the start up of a COLD engine.

Check all lights (Blinkers,Tail Light, Headlight) Check horn.

Double check your visual inspection.

When on test ride, Listen and feel for anything that feels "off".. Make sure the bike shifts good through ALL of the gears, Put a load on the bike in like second gear and get aggressive on the throttle, you can check to make sure the clutch is not slipping, If the rpms raise but the bike does not accelerate, that's a sign of a slipping clutch.

Bring an 8mm socket and ratchet with you, If the bike has the stock counter shaft sprocket cover on it take it off. Its only two bolts..(As long as the PO is ok with this..)Check to see if the counter shaft nut is loose, Check behind sprocket for oil leaks.

Check brake pad life front and rear, you can do this without taking anything apart, just have to look.

That is all for my 2 cents, Im  sure others will chime in with anything I forgot.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Are you planning on riding more on the street or is this something you'll be using for offroad as well? Hondajon80 has listed some good things to check. What does 16,000km's translate to in miles? I have an 06' too and I got it with 7,500miles and it was very solid. If it's clean and maintained looking, it probably has been serviced too.

Thanks guys,

I'll be riding it 50/50 split.  Weekend fly fishing camping trips.  then commuting 30 mins on sunny weekdays.  Aside from the mechanical concerns.  Here's what it comes with:

So here are the mods to the bike:

3x3 air box upgrade
carb re-jetted
FMF full exhaust
Protaper handlebars (taller)
Brand new tires Continental Twinduros
engine case covers
bash plate
luggage rack
trickle charger wiring
hand guards
2 rear sprockets (1 shortens gears down for single track)(the other lengthens gears for hwy cruising all day long at 70 mph)

Accessories for the bike:

wolfman tank bag
wolfman fender bag
dirtbagz saddle bags
dirtbagz rear duffle bag
Big waterproof duffle bag

Other Extras:

full on offroad boots
Klim riding pants (built in pads and waterproof) used once
Helmet
Waterproof duffle bag HUGE
GIANT cable lock
Tire levers (for changing tubes)
bike tool kit
first aid kit

He will do $4500 for everything.  I realize this is a high price for a 2007, but with all the gear..which I will need it seems like a reasonable package.

Your thoughts???

seeings how you are in BC thought i would chime in..

I bought my 07 last year bone stock no upgrades with 7000kms for $4000 from a dealer.

then all the mods began

where are you in BC?

Thanks guys,

I'll be riding it 50/50 split.  Weekend fly fishing camping trips.  then commuting 30 mins on sunny weekdays.  Aside from the mechanical concerns.  Here's what it comes with:

3x3 air box upgrade
carb re-jetted
FMF full exhaust
engine case covers
bash plate
luggage rack
trickle charger wiring
hand guards
2 rear sprockets (1 shortens gears down for single track)(the other lengthens gears for hwy cruising all day long at 70 mph)

wolfman tank bag
wolfman fender bag
dirtbagz saddle bags
dirtbagz rear duffle bag

Other Extras:

full on offroad boots
Helmet
GIANT cable lock
bike tool kit
first aid kit

He will do $4500 for everything.  I realize this is a high price for a 2007, but with all the gear..which I will need it seems like a reasonable package.

Your thoughts???

Cant comment on the price. Thumbs up for the 3x3 exhaust and rejet. That really opens these bikes up! And Thumbs up for the case savers! And at least we know the PO has common sense. Meaning he is smart about gearing up for riding and throwing in a first aid kit. Nothing special about the tool kit, They come with tool kits from the factory so don't look at that as something that is worth more money.

seeings how you are in BC thought i would chime in..

I bought my 07 last year bone stock no upgrades with 7000kms for $4000 from a dealer.

then all the mods began

where are you in BC?

I'm in the Vancouver area. I just found another bike....04' with 2500 km's! Similar in price with a bigger tank. Going to have a look now.

• Like 2

You can observe stuff, but when it comes to taking things apart, if I was selling, that would be a (I don't think so). But you can always ask I suppose.

Ok guys,

I checked out another 04' DRZ400S with 2500 km's for $3900.  Seemed fishy...The chain tensioner was at #6 already.  pretty much at maximum.  So is this normal for a bike with only 2500 km's?  The mirrors were cracked and lots of pinstriping (scratches in plastic) down sides.  Headlight plastic painted black.  There's no way these were the true km's.  

I also drove another 07' today (different from first one) with about 14000 km's with the usual mods: hand guards rejetted, sdg seat, clark tank, heated grips etc.  Actually got to drive it too and it felt very solid.  There was a bit of noise coming from the front of the motor..not a ticking but more of a constant sound....like a cam chain perhaps? Can this be adjusted easily?

Thanks again for your help!  I can't wait to get riding in the mountains!

Thanks guys,

3x3 air box upgrade
carb re-jetted
FMF full exhaust
engine case covers
bash plate
luggage rack
trickle charger wiring
hand guards

wolfman tank bag
wolfman fender bag
dirtbagz saddle bags
dirtbagz rear duffle bag

Other Extras:

full on offroad boots
Helmet
GIANT cable lock
bike tool kit
first aid kit

Your thoughts???

that's a $2500 bike around here. i'd be a lot more interested in the maintenance records than the farkles he's put on it. 

it's a hell of a lot more fun to ride it than push it with all the pretty farkles ;-)

ask him about valve checks and if/when they were adjusted. 

that's a $2500 bike around here. i'd be a lot more interested in the maintenance records than the farkles he's put on it. 

it's a hell of a lot more fun to ride it than push it with all the pretty farkles ;-)

ask him about valve checks and if/when they were adjusted. 

Good point! :)  Valvles have not yet needed to be adjust according to both bikes that have about 15000km's.  

Just for reference, I picked up a clean 2004 with 3900miles yesterday for $2300, including an extra set of wheels / tires and a Corbin seat.  Otherwise it's stock.