Sign in to follow this  

Need help with my suspension

Just got 2012 450 xc-w. The suspension feels way too soft for me. I'm about 320 with gear and I ride rocky woods. I realise I should change my spring and I might do that but I want to make sure I like the bike first. How can I stiffen it up for now?

Just got 2012 450 xc-w. The suspension feels way too soft for me. I'm about 320 with gear and I ride rocky woods. I realise I should change my spring and I might do that but I want to make sure I like the bike first. How can I stiffen it up for now?

The PDS shock on your bike really needs to be sprung for your weight and no matter how much pre-load you put on before binding it up the front forks will just sink and make your scoot a stink bug. Sorry big guy, you need springs on both ends so the bike rides in the plush end of the stroke. I run 250# before gear and back pack and my 530EXC was all but un-ridable before I re-sprung it for my weight.

Yeah I know I have to get it new springs, I just want to set it up the best I can for now. I want to make sure I like the bike before I spend the money. I ride an 06 crf450r that I did not touch and I love it

Well just to give it a feel you can crank the rear spring but make sure you at least have a 1/2 inch static sag so you dont bind up and maybe crank up the comp up front a few clicks. No matter, its going to be harsh since your so far into he stroke.

Any suggestions where to bring the bike for springs and revolving in the north Jersey area?

At your weight you won't like the KTM much less love it without susp work I had mine done check you pm's