Sign in to follow this  

Still not starting after sitting

Hey everyone,

Its time I got my motorcycle on the road for this summer 2014 after it has been sitting for about a year and I did the usual 'revival' but it still won't start. I am consider myself reasonably knowledgeable about motorcycles, but I still need a little guidance.

I did the following:

-New Battery

-New plug

-New fluids (Oil, Coolant, Gasoline, Brake) 

-Cleaned the carburetor and jets with compressed air and spray cleaner.

-Poured a bit of Oil in the cylinder a day before i turned motor

-Cleaned air filter

After hours of all this, it still wouldn't start. I took the plug out to confirm spark. Made sure the carb float was working to the best of my knowledge.

The one thing i did notice is the petcock is leaking (new one in the mail). I am confused though because it seems that the carb was getting enough fuel to operate or at least turn over a bit. I haven't noticed any other unusual sounds or sights. Any ideas on what I should do next? Thanks thumper talk.

Will it start with the choke?

Possibly the pilot jet is plugged up. Did you drain the float bowl before storage?

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

So let me try and give some more details about whats going on.

I the float bowl was not drained before storage ( I know this was a mistake) However I did take the carb apart and use cleaner and air. It turns over but not starting regardless of choke settings. I tried to prime it a few times and i removed fuel line to confirm fuel going into the float bowl area of the carb. 

I have not checked the valve clearances yet, is this a good next step? I am assuming that I can get the numbers from the repair manual? 

I also have a new petcock coming in the mail

Thanks again everyone!!

PS Should I order a new pilot jet? 

Edited by Thrasher400s

I've had my bike not start for several reasons:

Jets gummed ..but you already cleaned them.

Carb internal circuits gummed, cleared with copper wire/air/spray cleaner/fuel.

Stuck rings

Worn rings and piston

Bad trigger coils in stator

Bad spark plug resistor cap,

Edited by Rhinoracer

I would replace the plot and all the jets but especially the pilot.

After you drained the carb and cleaned it and tried to start it was there fuel making it back into the carb?

Also try removing the furl line from the carb and turn the petcock to prime. Fuel should flow freely like that.

Stick with the fuel delivery until you are 100% sure it's not a problem and them move on.

The jets & especially the Pilot will look clean....but it will have ethanol warts attached inside that tiny hole that will restrict flow just enough to not run or run like crap. The only fix that I have found is running the proper sized wire through the hole(it's tiny & can easily be damaged) or proper cleaners in an ultrasonic cleaner. So, getting a new pilot is not a bad idea.........

Edited by Motor7

Cleaning jets is a waste of time. Just replace. Especially the pilot. If you let gas sit in your carb for a year the pilot is done for. When you pulled the float bowl off was it all green and nasty inside?

Stuck rings are a possibility but not likely.

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz