Sign in to follow this  

KX250f or power up kit

i've been riding a 2009 honda 230f for the past year and it's pretty much in factory condition but it's time for a little more power, i've been trying to decide whether to upgrade to a kx250f or just get a power up kit for my 230, which would give me the best bang for my buck? Obviously a power up kit wont give me near as much hp as a 250 but it will save me a lot of money

i've been riding a 2009 honda 230f for the past year and it's pretty much in factory condition but it's time for a little more power, i've been trying to decide whether to upgrade to a kx250f or just get a power up kit for my 230, which would give me the best bang for my buck? Obviously a power up kit wont give me near as much hp as a 250 but it will save me a lot of money

It all depends on what you are riding such as woods or motocross

The power up kit really doesn't give you any more power.  It just makes the bike run a little better.  I think it is basically jetting and de-restricting the intake and exhaust.  I never bought a kit but basically did the same thing to my CRF150 and TTR230.  Jet them properly, remove the baffle from the exhaust, snorkel from the airbox and put in a higher flow air cleaner.  Cost me less than 50 bucks for the jets and air cleaner.  If you are ready to move up I would suggest not putting any money in the 230.  Stock bikes are generally the most desirable when trying to sale.

It all depends on what you are riding such as woods or motocross

Some trails in the woods some fields and small track, i don't need a race bike i just want something with a little more power

The power up kit really doesn't give you any more power.  It just makes the bike run a little better.  I think it is basically jetting and de-restricting the intake and exhaust.  I never bought a kit but basically did the same thing to my CRF150 and TTR230.  Jet them properly, remove the baffle from the exhaust, snorkel from the airbox and put in a higher flow air cleaner.  Cost me less than 50 bucks for the jets and air cleaner.  If you are ready to move up I would suggest not putting any money in the 230.  Stock bikes are generally the most desirable when trying to sale.

From what i've heard the power up kit gives the 230 a noticeable amount of power gain, obviously it wont compete with a 250 but it seems like it might be enough for me

I have a 230 it's got full exhaust rejeted and tuned by shop and airbox snorkel removed and I felt a huge difference in topend power was like night and day but it was still no were near a 250 power

You can put money into polishing a pig or you can buy a bike that in stock form is better in every single way by a country mile. Your choice.

What you put into your 230 you will never get back and even if it had 50hp, it would still be a very heavy trail bike with awful suspension and breaks.