Sign in to follow this  

Smaller shims? File them down?

I have a 2003 crf250r. It is like my friends 2002 crf250x, but it's the race version. Time for another valve job on my bike. I have the smallest shim in my bike and it needs to be smaller but they don't make any smaller. I just bought a full titanium washer set so I can use these as my shims. Can I file these down so they will fit better, and the will be the right size thickness. Thanks

Your valves are done its time for a valve replacement/seat recut valve shims are hardend steel titanium is softer you do not want titanium particals going around in your motor oil

• Like 2

Might wanna check your frame again, I've never heard of a 2003 crf250r or a 2002 crf250x

• Like 2

This is a really bad idea!!!!

They're really hard treated steel and if you are able to cut into them, you won't be able to get them flat. 

I have a 2003 crf250r. It is like my friends 2002 crf250x, but it's the race version. Time for another valve job on my bike. I have the smallest shim in my bike and it needs to be smaller but they don't make any smaller. I just bought a full titanium washer set so I can use these as my shims. Can I file these down so they will fit better, and the will be the right size thickness. Thanks

Seeing you know so much why don't you just take to the shims with an angle grinder, cut them in half, put them in and see how it goes.

Read your manual, this is not rocket science.

2002 crf250x does not exist.

Edited by Razman11

This guy is a troll.
  • Like 1

Reading posts like this reminds me of why people think 4 stroke dirt bikes are unreliable and expensive. lol

• Like 1

My valves look fine but the shims are at their smallest.... 2012 & 2013* searching for answers

When you say look fine have you taken them out?if your at the smallest shim they are done I bet they have a large step worn into them where they meet the valve seat.

REPLACE YOUR VALVES, VALVE SPRINGS, VALVE SEALS, AND HAVE THE VALVE SEATS RECUT BY A PROFESSIONAL. STOP RESHIMMING!!! UNLESS YOU ARE JUST TRYING TO DROP A VALVE.

Every one is telling you you need a valve job and they are only trying to help you out please listen to them most have been there done that and know whats up with your ride.

• Like 1

Every one is telling you you need a valve job and they are only trying to help you out please listen to them most have been there done that and know whats up with your ride.

He's asking how he can &%$#@! it up more than it already is. Please stop providing reasonable answers and help him out lol

He's asking how he can &%$#@! it up more than it already is. Please stop providing reasonable answers and help him out lol

Maybe he could just remove the shims and weld the top of the retainers shut?